Thursday, January 1, 2015

My next job...


Really?  No, not really.

I got into a discussion on-line this morning.  In an open forum where the topic turned to photography.  I read with interest while some people wrote about how "film is better than digital."

I haven't had that discussion in a few years.  It made me think back... I loved the photography business; lived and breathed it.  I enjoyed working with our clients, both portrait and commercial.  We saw the emergence of the digital industry, and how it changed photography.  We were early adopters, at a time when some professionals couldn't see that digital was the future.  It would certainly change that entire industry.  After 32 years, we were ready for giving that "retired thing" a try.

That made me think about something I used to say when I was an active professional photographer: In my next career, I'm going to be a brain surgeon.  No one does it for a hobby.  Nobody says, "You need some surgery?  My uncle has a nice scalpel - he does surgery for a hobby.  Want me to call him for you?"  ;-)  No one opens a surgery center because they "made a good cut for the county fair."

My first "career" was being a rock 'n roll musician.  I quit college first time around to go on the road.  A relentless succession of one-nighters, living in a bus with 8 other guys.  If we weren't playing a gig, we were rehearsing.  There are a lot of weekend musicians out there who will play for next to nothing.  The live music scene was changing.  "Disco" didn't help the situation.  ;-)

When I got off the road, I continued to play... first in a duo, then in another rock band.  Even as I transitioned into the photography business, I played music.  Made more money doing that than my first studio job (where I did both concurrently).

That was my first shot at doing something for a living that many people do as a hobby.  I didn't think about it that way at the time... I just saw photography as another creative endeavor.  Turns out that photography was my "grown-up career."  I earned degrees and received awards.  Then, digital came on the scene.

There were always photography hobbyists who would take photos for free... didn't matter if they were great images (for some people), it is hard to beat free.  These hobbyists would often come into our studio to "just look around."  Often, they would ask if they could "intern or job shadow"... willing to work "for free!"  For the same training that I paid for... or techniques that I developed over time.

I finally said to one guy, "The wage and hour people won't let me have you work for free.  How does $5,000 a month sound to you?"

"Really?  Five thousand dollars?  You have a deal!"

"Great.  Bring in the first $5,000 and we'll start your training."

"Huh?"

"You want to learn from my experience.  That is called 'tuition.'  Your first month's tuition is $5,000."

That usually drove home the point.  Hobbyists really weren't a problem for us, but when consumer digital cameras became more affordable, we could see where the industry was heading.  When everybody does for a hobby what you do for a living, there will eventually be less demand... or the public perception of what is professional will ultimately change.  What I never saw coming, even after we retired was the fact that everyone would be carrying a camera in their phone.  Even worse: no matter how crappy those phone images might be, showing images on your phone became more acceptable than holding (purchasing) an actual photograph.

Years before we retired from photography, I earned my first captain's license...an OUPV: Operator of an Uninspected Passenger Vessel.  Otherwise known as a "6 pac license," because it allows you to operate a boat with up to 6 paying passengers.  As I gained more sea time, I got my first Master License.  That first Master License allowed me to operate a passenger vessel up to 50 tons.

Then came my first captain job.  Seemed logical to make some money based on something I enjoyed doing... sound familiar?  My various captain jobs have been interesting and challenging.  My "post retirement" career.

Yeah, hardly anyone boats for a hobby.  ;-)  I guess I didn't follow my own advice.  Now, it is time to make some decisions: another season driving someone else's boat?  Or maybe I'll go back on the road, singing and playing?  I do have a pretty good camera in my phone.

Where did I see that ad for "Learn Brain Surgery Via The Internet - Work From Home!"??

;-)




No comments: