Monday, February 16, 2015

"How was the install of your PDI?" and a take-back...


This morning, I got a phone call... with a South Dakota area code... from "the RV dealer" where we bought our motorhome.  Supposedly.

The guy on the phone said he was from the RV dealer.  "Then, why do you have a South Dakota area code?" I asked.

"Well, that's a call center.  I want to ask you about your recent service."

"I didn't have a recent service," I said.  "I did buy a new motorhome.  I guess you could call the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) service."

"Well, yes, this is about your PDI.  Was the installation of your PDI satisfactory."

I laughed.  Out loud.  "You really don't know anything about RVs, do you?"

"Maybe I misunderstood you," he said, "Did you say you had a PDI installed?"

"No, I said, 'PDI,' as in: Pre-Delivery Inspection.  It's a process where you check out the new RV - it isn't something you install.  You aren't really from the dealer, are you?"

"I am calling on behalf of the dealer."

"The dealer would know what a PDI is."

"OK, thank you."  click

Now, if someone would call and ask if my recent call center call was satisfactory, they could learn something.  ;-)

Re: the "take-back."  No, we didn't take back the new RV.  So far, so good.  We'll know even more after a shake-down trip.  This take-back has to do with motorcycles.  There is a loose brotherhood with those on 2 wheels... except in crazy traffic situations, we tend to wave at each other.  No, I don't know why.  There is a hierarchy, though: some riders of certain brands only wave at others on the same bike.  Harley riders seem to be quite friendly... well, those on full-dress bikes.

Today, we were riding through a couple of the Sun City developments on the way to lunch.  I waved at a guy coming at us on a cruiser type H-D... he started to wave... then saw we were on scooters... and pulled back his wave!

Another good laugh.  Some days I entertain myself by seeing if I can make others wave back.  ;-)

Speaking of riding the scoots... and I was... on my favorite scooter forum, there has been a discussion started by a participant who is considering getting out of riding.  He had a particularly close call.  I get that.  People in cars, for the most part, aren't out to get you... they are simply oblivious.  We notice that other drivers are more aware of us when we are riding together.

Today, we saw three oblivious (aka: dumbass) drivers.  The first was a guy in a Prius... he started to pull out in front of us in the parking lot, after lunch.  He didn't look both ways, only looking towards the street.  We both stopped and waved him on.

The second one was a woman in a minivan who blew through a red light.  We had a green turn arrow, and as we were starting to pull away, she drove across our path.  The light wasn't yellow on her part.  Not even pink.  Flat-out red.  Dumbass.  You can just pull away when the light turns green.  I thought this was just a Texas thing.

The third doesn't qualify as a close call... just an idiot.  A guy in a Mercedes passed us... over a solid yellow line... where we were doing just a couple miles per hour above the speed limit.  Never a cop around when you'd like to see one.  ;-)

All that said, these dumbasses would have still been dumbasses, even if we had been driving the truck.  Well, they may have noticed a big red truck, but that is no guarantee that they wouldn't do just what they did.  Even with the three dumbasses, we probably passed another thousand or so decent drivers - that's pretty good odds.

All that said, it was still a lovely day for scooting about: warm and sunny.  I really like warm and sunny.  Since we have been here, the temps have been mostly above normal.  Looking at the weather at home in the Tropical Tip, that hasn't been the case.


No comments: