Sunday, March 15, 2015

Lead us not into temptation...


It is a cliche': the sweet Blonde girl in her Catholic school uniform bringing home the bad boy... long hair, a motorcycle, he plays in a band.  That was 45 years ago.

We lounged in today.  Joan made breakfast.  I played guitar; took Izzy for a walk.  Around noon, Joan said, "I'm getting hungry - what do you want to do for lunch?"

"Well, since you asked... we could take the scoots, ride over to Glendale, get a chili-cheese dog."  Surprisingly, she went for it.  A breezy day today, but plenty warm; pushing 90ยบ with a high pollen count.  Still, it felt good out on the scoots.

Lunch was good, too...  Der Snitch makes a good chili-cheese dog.  After lunch, Joan said, "How about we take Indian School Road out to Verrado?  We haven't driven through there this year."

"More scooter riding?  I'm in."

Traffic was surprisingly light on the roads we took - mostly 45 mph speed limits.  Once on the west side of town, the road drops down to two lane, with a stop sign every mile or so.  The Blonde looked slyly at me and said, "We've never run these against each other from a stop."

My Honey wants to drag race?  On scooters?  Again, I'm in!

We both blasted away from the first stop sign.  The speed limit was still 45 mph... we may have gone a mile or two per hour over that.  The bikes are evenly matched to about 30 mph - and surprisingly peppy as they pull away from the line.  After 30, my bike slightly pulled ahead... by a nose.

Not what I expected.  I've ridden both bikes, they seem pretty equal in performance from a seat-of-the-pants feeling.  I know what you are thinking: "She probably backed off to not squash your fragile male ego?"  No, she is very competitive, and doesn't cut any slack.  Realistically, I expected her to slightly pull ahead of me, since the bikes seem the same and she weighs less than I do.

Three more stop signs, the results were really close.  This resulted in a new theory for me.  Later.

On the way back to the RV park, I suggested we stop for gas.  She suggested we keep heading east on Indian School and stop at the QT station.  It is good riding in this area: the roads mostly have a good surface, and the traffic is lighter than east or north of here.  We swung into the QT station, and filled up the scoots.  Besides the drag racing, most of this tank was 45 mph or less... I got 106 mpg.  Joan got 120.  I asked if she actually filled the tank... it would be obvious on the next fill-up.

Thus, my new theory: my bike has a bit more power than hers... that would account for the fact that we are generally neck 'n neck when we get on 'em... and why she always gets better fuel mileage than I do.  I knew it - the red ones are faster!  ;-)

Back to the RV and put the scoots under cover...


It's hard to see since she is backlit here: but there is that sly smile again.  I'll probably never know if I won fair and square.

We took the car to Steph and Dan's.  Steph is still off this next week, recuperating.  We left the car with them, just in case she needs it.  The new Grandkitty was calmly laying on the couch when we came in... first time we have seen her calm.  She sat on Joan's lap for quite a while... looking especially sweet and cute.

Nice way to wrap up the day.


No comments: