Thursday, April 9, 2015

Committed...


Yes, I am aware that some think I should be.  Committed, that is.

On the long drive from Arizona to Texas, we committed to going back to the whale watch jobs for another summer.  It will be a completely different experience, since we won't be living on a boat in the marina.  Our boss there has made arrangements for us to have a full hookup site on some private property.  No more walking to work, we will be scooter commuters.

There really are no commercial long-term RV sites on the island.  One commercial campground, but they do not have full hookup sites; geared for camping, not RVing.  Perhaps the fact that it will cost around $350 to bring our RV on the ferry plays a part in why no typical RV sites?  I had to explain to the boss that we are looking for someplace reasonably level, without all those pesky trees to drip sap on our new rig or block our satellite TV reception.  No smokey campfires or pitching a tent.

So, our time in the Tropical Tip will be relatively short.  Even before finalizing this decision, we had planned on rolling north in May; this just moves that up a bit earlier... we plan to do some RV stuff along the way.  Yep, that's the reason we got this motorhome.

 So, Dave, the air conditioning guy showed up today.  That's within 36 hours of when he said he'd be here... for this part of the world, that equals "right when I said."  He looked for a leak.  And looked.  Then, looked some more.  Then: "I think I found it."  Nothing instills confidence like hearing "I think."

He put a new part in.  While he was welding that in place, I asked, "How do you get the weld to cover around that pipe?"  (That was connected to an inside wall on the a/c)

He said, "Oh, it flows around there."

Yep, when he checked it (and, to his credit, he checked it), the weld was leaking.  He put some more weld on there and said, "I think that will take care of it."  There's that "I think" thing again.

I'm going with: "I think it is fixed."

We worked on the cargo trailer after that.  Oh, the trailer is functioning just fine - I built a motor mount to carry the small outboard last summer.  I built it to stay.  Joan wants that space for a shoe rack.  It took some doing, but the motor mount is out.

It is important to not take on more than one task per day when the humidity is 458%.  Of course, I am exaggerating: the humidity was only 437%.  It takes a while to acclimate, especially when you have just come from the desert, where the humidity is frequently 7%.  Probably goes without saying, but I know my "sweat system" is fully functioning.

The jacuzzi tub doesn't have to be a "hot tub"... I made it a relatively cool tub when I came in.  Sat in there 'till I was prunish, then cleaned up.  Then, out for a late lunch, over the causeway to SPI.  Still plenty of people around.  Holy Week is the week before Easter, when many Mexican nationals take a vacation... plenty of Mexico license plates on the streets.

We took a drive on the island - things look good.  Some fresh paint on some businesses.  They will be ready to go for the busy summer season.  We drove to the south end of the island; the RV park there is less than half populated... the winter visitors are mostly gone.  Plenty of Mexico license plates in the parking lots there, too.  The beach wasn't packed, but there were people playing in the water and on the beach...




No comments: