Sunday, April 12, 2015

Eco-minded...


Spend some time in a boat or an RV, and you tend to do things differently.

Even though we have been back in the house for about a week, I still find myself trying to use my foot to flush the toilet.  No, not that: "Oh my goodness, this is the grossest gas station restroom I have ever seen - I will flush the toilet with my foot, 'cause I am not touching that with my hand!"  Our boat had an RV type toilet in it - the kind you flush with your foot.  There is a pedal down by the floor.

It always takes me a while to adapt.  And even though we are generally connected to water with the RV, I find myself being conservative with water.  I don't leave the water running while I'm brushing by teeth.  Or when I'm shaving.

I use more water in a couple flushes in the house than I use to shower in the RV.

California is having some serious water issues right now - imagine if all those people could spend a little time in an RV or a boat, and find out they can get by just fine on a few gallons a day, each?


4 comments:

Mrseas said...

Jim,

Some of us in the "dry" state of
Cali have already "adopted" the RV
(Navy) type shower......Been doing it for some time!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

I heard that some places in CA will be fining people for taking long showers??? How do they differentiate between that and a family of 8 getting ready in the morning??

Mrseas said...

What most cities are planning to do is "ask" everyone to cut back on their water use up to 35%. This will be "achieved" thru the pocket book. More water used equals more money billed. The States' goal is a 25% reduction based on your 2013 usage. Most folks have not taken the situation seriously and are in for a "dry" summer and large bills!
Time to get rid of all of the green lawns and swimming pools!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

I know many places in CA get their water from the Colorado River... and the levels/usage are not sustainable.