Friday, April 17, 2015

Shiny...


I was looking forward to getting the motorhome exterior washed and looking good.  The weather weasels have been predicting rain every day for the last week.  Including today.

Obviously, the Rio Grande Valley is a big area; and our weather at the coast is generally different from what happens inland.  That said, it has consistently looked like the rain was coming.  And we have had a couple nights with rain and thunderstorms.  But, the hourly forecast was looking reasonable for this morning.  We headed out to the storage unit.

Usually, I clean the outside, Joan does the inside.  We knew we might be working to get done before the rain, so Joan gave me a hand with the washing part of job...


She hosed, I scrubbed.  The motorhome wasn't that dirty, but it did have plenty of squished bugs on the front, and some grub from driving through rain on the way back from Arizona.


With the scrubbing done, she went inside to arrange things, while I wiped down the exterior.  The equipment to do that has changed over time...


In the "olden days," I used a chamois.  By the time we were into RVing, I needed a good soft-bristle brush to cover the exterior square footage - that's it on the left.  A decade or so ago, Miracle Cloths became popular, and I bought the one in the middle: a miracle cloth velcro attaches to the flat blade which rotates.  I thought that was as good as it gets.  Then, a few years ago, I bought the set-up on the right... two sided, with little "fingers" in the miracle cloth - it absorbs about 10 times the water that the one in the middle does.  It can also be used with a "waterless" system, using one side to apply the wash stuff and the other side to remove it and shine.  Today, I was using both sides, and another cloth by hand, to wipe the water off the sides and get it all shiny.  All three contraptions get used: scrubing, take the majority of water off, then wipe dry and shine.  The one on the right expands out to about 10 feet, giving me a good reach to anywhere on the motorhome.  Then, some places that you have to do by hand...


I was 3/4 of the way around the coach when a light sprinkle started.  Then stopped.  I finished wiping...


It takes longer to wipe down and dry than it does to scrub it.  This gives me the opportunity to look it all over, to see that everything is in good shape.  Including the polished aluminum wheels...


Oh, while I was outside in the humidity, the Blonde was inside... with the generator and air conditioner running.  Nice.  :-)

This storage unit is on an acreage owned by a neighbor.  He has goats and chickens on this acreage (no, they are not wandering around the storage units).  A post here isn't complete without a cute animal photo - here's one of the baby goats...


Cute kid, huh?  :-)

I just know someone is going to say something about young goats and old goats.




4 comments:

MarkJ said...

Can't wait to hear the stories and see the pics from the great Northwest! Really liking your Aspect!!!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Mark. It will be a different experience in the PNW, not living on the boat. More room in the Aspect. :-)

Hudson River Boater said...

Goat Cheese-- That's my comment..

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Don't forget the chickens - scrambled eggs with cheese! ;-)