Friday, June 12, 2015

A boost...


More crew training, on a different boat today.  Turned out to be a pretty easy day, in spite of man-overboards, fires, crew incapacitation, etc, etc.

I was done by early afternoon, and swung by our Friday Harbor office; my Honey said, "Here's what you've been waiting for," and handed me a box from Amazon.  Inside: a 4G cell signal booster.

We used a 3G version years ago, and it made an awful signal workable.  When I got home today, I checked the signal before setting up the booster - 1X, occasionally one dot for 3G.   It has a very small antenna, less than half the size of our previous booster.  We have a good ground plane with the front cab on the RV; I ran the cable inside, plugged it in, and put my phone in the cradle... the signal immediately went to 2 to 3 dots and LTE (4G).  Nice!

A quick speed check on the signal put it at 9 mg download - about 10 times better than what we have been getting most of the time.  It remains to be seen if this will be the new normal - we have received an LTE signal on rare occasions, but it doesn't last long.  This is now at 2 hours and hasn't wavered.

I made a call to the office to see how it sounded: good from this end, good to their end.

We'll see how this plays out.


No comments: