Sunday, June 14, 2015

Bonus...


No, nothing to do with getting paid.  Quite the opposite, actually.

The boat I was scheduled on today needs to have the deck painted.  No idea if it will actually get done.  I guess as a courtesy, the boss texted me with "You probably would rather have the day off, but if you want to..."

Paint or take the day off?  Tough decision.  Yeah, I would rather have the day off.

Thoughts of a nap... watching a movie or two... laying in the hammock, eating chocolate bonbons... oh, and a nap... did I mention: a nap?  It rarely works out that way.

I was "on call" if a trip came up on our 3rd boat.  So, you can't really "take off."  That, and Joan left me some chores to get done: cleaning and flushing the holding tanks (not a big deal); borrowing the weed eater and lopper from our "landlord"... trimming the grass around the coach and cargo trailer, and chopping off some branches on our shade tree.

One of the great joys when we sold our house up north was saying good-bye to the lawn mower, weed eater, and hedge clippers.  I really don't enjoy yard work.  Oh, I know some people find it therapeutic, even pleasurable.  I would not be one of those people.  Our homeowners association dues pay for yard work at our place in Texas.

Nice guy, he offered to come over and do it for me.  "Thanks, but I can see you are having some family time - I'll do it."

Yep, I now remember how much I really don't enjoy yard work.  This is a large yard, and the weed eater is one of those big-ass, strap-over-the-shoulder types with handles like a bicycle.  A lot bigger and heavier than the electric one I left when we sold the house.  Before you say, "Oh, poor baby!" I'll have you know I actually worked up a sweat.  Key word in that previous sentence: worked.

On the bright side: our scheduled days off are coming up.


2 comments:

MarkJ said...

A sweat! I'm impressed! Good thing it's time for a few days off.....
Btw, I hate yard work also. Must be the sweat thing.....

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

I don't mind sweating... for the right reasons. Yard work is not one of those right reasons.