Saturday, June 13, 2015

Orcas and a humpback...


Yeah, I know: photos, or it didn't happen.  It happened.

We had a good day out on the water today.  The only report I had before our charter guests arrived had us heading south into Juan de Fuca for a couple humpbacks.  Where it was going to be a bit lumpy.  We know people come here to see the Orcas, but I didn't have a report on any within our range.

On the way out of the harbor, a report: Orcas in Haro Strait... no ID (residents or transients), but they were heading north.  That would be a relatively easy run in this boat, and calmer water conditions.  I went down from the helm (Gabe, our newest captain is training and had the helm) to let our naturalist know of our change in plans.

It was a group of 5 or 6 transient Orcas... we were the 5th boat on the scene.  Within a half hour, the number of boats viewing was more than 25.  Gets to be some interesting driving, with that many boats, and whales that aren't moving in a straight track.  It was good training for Gabe, nice viewing for our guests.

After nearly an hour of viewing the Orcas, a call on the radio said there was a humpback about 5 miles from us... pretty much on our way home.  Nice!  Convenient.  It turned out to be a "Two Whale Species Day."  The humpback was moderately elusive, doing two shallow dives, then a deep dive, where she stayed down for about 5 minutes.  And randomly changing directions.  We were the 4th boat on the humpback... but checking behind us, it looked like an armada coming... it is clear that we weren't the only ones who wanted to see Orcas and humpbacks today.

From there, it was on to seeing some seal pups (pupping season has begun) with their Mommas and several bald eagles.  And some absolutely beautiful scenery, on another gloriously sunny day.  And, no, I didn't have an opportunity to get my camera out - 'twas a very busy day at the helm.

But, here's a photo - the last two days I have been doing maintenance and crew training, a dressed casual.  Back to a uniform today.  Joan said I look "like a grown-up"...




5 comments:

MarkJ said...

So what's the uniform? Cute little white shirt with bars on the shoulders and a Captain's hat? Don't you wish I'd go away sometimes Jim???

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Ah, Mark... other captain jobs I've had required the white shirt with epaulettes (and 4 bars on the shoulder). One issued the "captain hat," but I was more comfortable with a ball cap. This company also does kayak expedition tours, so the overall dress code is more "outdoorsey." They also give us performance shirts, but I generally prefer something with a collar. When I drive the boat on the other side of the island (where the kayak operation is located), I can wear a company logo t-shirt. It tends to be cool on that boat, so layers are the answer... company logo jacket, hoody, fleece vest, etc. I wear my own underwear, though... don't you wish I'd share less detail? LOL

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hey, Mark - here's a photo from a previous boat job

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z440/eiwiz/JimUniform1e.jpg

MarkJ said...

Impressive! Way better than the ole suit and tie days of old. I've worn a tie TWICE in the past three years. At my moms funeral and my niece's wedding. Plus those stupid itchy suit pants. Good riddance!!!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

When we retired, I took an arm-full of ties and a bunch of suits to the Salvation Army. Haven't missed 'em one bit.