Friday, June 26, 2015

Prevost Morning...


As I mentioned in the previous post, it was an early day.  I had to get to Roche Harbor to have our boat there ready to take our kayak manager and supplies to Stuart Island.  It takes a while to prep the boat and warm up the diesel; while the engine was warming (and my other prep done), I took a few photos around the harbor...



For some size perspective, that is our 42' boat backed up next to that big yacht.  They have a dinghy on the port side at the stern that our boat is covering... with not a lot of room between us.  The area in front of our boat is all dinghy dock, and is usually pretty full.  Not at 6:15 this morning.

Looking the other direction, the Hotel de Haro...


And, the Phecal PHreak: Roche Harbor's pump-out boat...


Jacob was right on time.  We loaded a kayak onboard (in case we couldn't get a spot at the dock in Prevost Harbor on Stuart Island), put the gear in the cabin, and shoved off.

It was an absolutely gorgeous morning.  In fact, last night was the first night we haven't run heat for at least part of the night.  I had three layers on for the scooter ride to Roche, and was a bit over-dressed.  The water on the way to the harbor on the north side of Stuart Island was like glass.

The only spot at the dock that would accommodate us is the spot reserved for the State Park boat; they do, however, allow commercial operators to drop off and pick up passengers here.  That works.

Our boat was bigger than the space at the dock, so I eased us in, with the bow hanging over the forward part of the dock.  That works, too...


I waited on the boat (in case it needed to be moved) while Jacob got the supplies distributed.  Joan had sent me with some fresh fruit to snack on, and this was a good time for that.  I smiled as I thought about the times in the past when we anchored here at Stuart Island... neat place, lots of good memories.

When Jacob came back to the boat, we shoved off and carefully made our way around the boats behind us at the dock...



The way the currents were flowing, it was to our advantage at this time to go around Turn Point to head back to Roache Harbor...


Still, pretty morning light.

Back at our dock, I shut the boat down and moved my gear off.  One of the other captains will be taking this out a bit later, and I'm heading to Friday Harbor for a charter on one of our boats there... with some crew training in between.  A first trip on this boat for one of our naturalists, and she did great.

The people on our charter were a delight - a family gathered together for Mom and Dad's 50th anniversary.  Of course, they wanted to see whales.  I had a report to the south, another to the north.  Decisions.  Either would be a good trip, I made my choice based on fewer boats and pretty scenery - north.

Nice viewing with K-Pod, including K-26 making some dramatic moves.  These whales were moving at a pretty good clip, so this was the one shot I got off...


Plenty of eagles, seals, even some deer on land.  And gorgeous scenery with perfect weather.

Joan was waiting for me when I got home (after 7:00); a long day.  I put the scooters away, and she had drinks and snacks for us on the patio.  She said, "Not too often you go to work before me and get home after me."  Nope.  She opens the office... and closes it.  My trips are mostly between those times.

I'm bushed, but what a nice way to get tired.  ;-)


3 comments:

Hudson River Boater said...

That's some glass you're ridding on-- Nice..

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Like a magic carpet when the water is like that. :-)

Hudson River Boater said...

Smooth as silk--