Thursday, June 11, 2015

Super Pod...


A great day to be out whale watching.  Alas, not for me.  Boat maintenance and crew training today.

The mechanic flew in; I picked him up at the airport.  Within a couple hours, he had fixed the fuel valve situation that had happened when new fuel lines were put on the boat.  He wasn't the one that originally did the work, but it was the company he works for.  They made it right.

I shook down the boat before taking him back to the airport, now convinced that all is right.  We had all the lines traced, he did some switching and labeled all the lines.  I think we made his job easier, I know I feel better with this work done.

I heard the reports on the radio while we worked on the boat... wished I was out there to see the whales.  Sounds like J, K and L Pods got together.

Next on the agenda: crew training - for our newest captain and a first mate who hasn't worked on this boat before.  Besides the usual drills for man overboard and fires, we did a lot of close quarters maneuvering and docking.  Repeatedly.

To add to the fun, the wind kicked up - gusting to around 30 by the time the afternoon work was done.  It made for some challenging docking maneuvers, which is good training.  But, tiring.

Tomorrow: more of the same on a different boat.  After that, I'm hoping I'll get back to driving.  And seeing the whales.


No comments: