Thursday, July 2, 2015

Boat maintenance...


You'd think not owning a boat would really cut down on the boat maintenance.

Yesterday was a day off, but I went in to get a couple things addressed on one of the boats... the radar wasn't working, and we were getting unusual readings on the transmission fluid pressure.  I took the radar dome apart and found the problem right away... it took me an hour of trying to get the repaired part locked in place... and then I went home and got the right tool for the job (a miniature size allen wrench).  A couple minutes later, that was done.

I replaced the transmission sender.  While putting the last wire on, I snugged the furled knob... and the whole piece came off in my hand.  Pretty sure I don't have that strong of a grip anymore, so it must have been ready to come apart.  It would have been nice if it had done that before I took the old one off and had the new one installed and just about done.

This is why a boat builder/repair friend of mine says, "Every job takes 8 hours.  Oh, it may only be an hour usually, but something else will break that you have to mess with, and by the time you are done messing, it has taken 8 hours."  Not sure I completely agree with that, but I told Joan I'd have these tasks done "in an hour or so."  Ummm... missed that by an hour or so.

;-)


No comments: