Sunday, July 12, 2015

Lest one think I always look like that...


Yes, I do try to look presentable when driving the boats.  This morning, I went down to one of the boats that was having a problem with the onboard head/holding tank, and needed fuel.  Hours before our scheduled trip, 'cause you don't know what you're going to run into with a head issue.  (For the non-boat people, the head is the toilet on a boat.  And, sometimes, shit happens.)

The crew had cleaned the mess, but the holding tank needed to be pumped out.  Typically, the marina has us on a schedule for pumpouts twice a week.  No idea what went on, since I didn't drive this boat yesterday, but the holding tank was bulgingly full.  While it is possible there may have been that much use since the last scheduled pumpout, it would have required everyone on the boat to use the toilet a couple times per trip.  Or, there may have been some operator error.  Regardless, it needs to be taken care of.

With no first mate to handle lines and fenders, my sweet wife stepped in.  Yes, she knows how to do the boat jobs.  We took the boat around to the pumpout station, then stopped to fuel up.  Back at the dock, the other work began...


No photos of the head compartment being sanitized.  Top to bottom.  I wasn't smiling.  Would not have been a good photo.  It's a one-person compartment.  I don't recall saying, "Oh, pick me!  Pick me!"

There is a saying I am fond of: "Not my circus, not my monkeys"... some days, I feel like the guy who follows the elephants with a shovel.

;-)


3 comments:

MarkJ said...

Like I said yesterday, You're the man Jim!!! ;-). Was sure nice of the blonde to help you though......

Hudson River Boater said...

Can't you pump it overboard once out to sea?

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

It would be a lot of miles to get to where it is "open water" and legal to pump out. The pumpout station at the marina takes about a half hour to run over there, pump out, and run back. Of course, the best solution would be the marina actually pumping us out twice a week, like we are scheduled... and then crew on the boat putting the valves in the proper position to keep from unnecessarily filling the tank.

Joan and I look out for each other.