Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Like having a teenager again...


Well, she won't take your car without permission (Grand Theft Auto, Steph), but one of us has been exhibiting a bit of attitude.  And, by "one of us," I mean: Izzy.

Sweet little Izzy?

Yes.

She has been getting more "outdoor time" in the past two months here, than she has had in the past two years.  She loves our "RV site" with the big yard.  I walk her several times a day.  She has been getting even more outdoor time by herself, on her lengthy leash.  With us keeping a close eye on her.


I have always thought Izzy is a smart cat.  She took to the leash right away (not lengthy walks).  She has learned some key "people words": chow, walk, outside, home.  She has adapted to life on the boat, in the different RVs, and in the house.  Rarely a fuss.

Until recently.  She REALLY likes being outside.  She will meow at the door 'till I let her out on her leash.  She will meow at the door to come inside and use her litter box, then want to go right back outside.  (Yes, I know that is more like a little kid than a teenager.)  If I say, "Walk?" she goes right to the door to wait for her leash to get hooked up.

She does NOT like to come back from our walks.  When I say, "Home!" (which is her cue that we are heading back to whatever our current domicile), she has taken to hissing at me.  Today, I said, "Home!" and she completely ignored me.  (That sounds more like teenage behavior).  I repeated, "Izzy, home!"  You have not been ignored, until you have been ignored by a cat.  I gave a little tug on her leash... she hissed.  A long, spitty hiss.

I said, "Not smart to talk to the Daddy like that!"

She hit me!

Now, keep in mind that she is a small 8 pound cat (with a lot of fur).  A "hit" from her is like a tap, but she was letting me know that she isn't going back without a fuss.  I don't understand most of what she says, but I am pretty sure this was, "You aren't the boss of me!"

Oh, yes, I am.  I shook my finger in her face.  She snapped at it.  Knowing how fast she is, and how less-than-that-fast I am, I know she wasn't intending to bite.  She punctuated it with a growly hiss.

Guess who spent some time in "time out," today?

Obviously, she doesn't hold a grudge... she rubbed my legs with the usual enthusiasm at chow time.  And, she is back outside on her leash as I write this.  Behind her back, I chuckle at her "independence"... although she is quite pampered.  The heart of a lion in that little cat body.

----------------------

In a different vein, we went out for "happy hour" this afternoon.  No, we didn't go to a bar, although we did have lunch at Haley's (kind of a sports bar/grill).  This "happy hour" was at the grocery store.  On Tuesday afternoons, they have a good deal on select produce.  And, they make it look pretty, too...




3 comments:

MarkJ said...

I'm really likin happy hour....

Cynthia Rendel said...

Awesome happy hour produce! Heading up there today. it was lovely out on the water yesterday. Thanks for the weather info. Can you recommend a good weather site for this area?

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

My go-to weather app is the good ol' Weather Channel. I check it several times each day, especially the hourly forecasts.

Marine outlook forecast: http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/forecasts/marine/coastal/pz/pzz133.txt

Weather Underground: http://i.wund.com/MAR/PZ/133.html