Saturday, July 18, 2015

Oh... dark: 30


Who planned this?  Getting up in the dark, because I have to get to Roche earlier than I would have to go for an early charter, because the boat needs to be fueled before we head out on the first trip.  And, it's my birthday.

I used to make a fuss about making a fuss on my birthday.  Back in the "olden days" when we were in the studio.  Summer was always busy, and it was nice to get the day off.  After Steph booked something on my birthday one year, we made that day a "business holiday" and everyone got the day off... with pay.  You could be darn sure nothing would get booked that way.  ;-)

Fast forward to today: two trips, with one being an early charter.  Hell, I don't know if the whales will be up, yet.  Yes, that is a joke (for those who don't know whale behavior - they don't "sleep" like we do; they have to be semi-awake to breathe).

Stephanie wanted to know when she could call today... and I'd be able to take the call.  I originally told her "9:00 pm."  She wanted earlier.  "Maybe before 7:00 am."  I think she thought I was kidding.  Most days, I go in around 10:00 am or noon, depending on which boat I'm driving.  Finding out last night that the boat needs to be fueled, I'll be on my way to work at 7:00 am.  On my birthday.

I think we should go back to the system where "everybody gets the day off."  ;-)

Izzy looking at us scurrying around this morning:


"What the hell are you people doing??  I'm not going to get to be outside much today, am I?  I thought we were supposed to be retired... you know, being able to spend time doting on me.  Walking me.  Feeding me.  Staying quiet when I'm napping.  We need to work on this!"

The cat has a point.


6 comments:

Hudson River Boater said...

Has this ever happened to you??

youtube.com/watch?v=ImpM4LRQvqo

Cynthia Rendel said...

I have enjoyed your blog often. Three years ago we stopped to say hi in Friday Harbor when our paths crossed. Well today my husband and I walked past you while you were talking to your guests at Roche Harbor. I started reading because I was interested in the CDory. We seriously thought about it for our next boat but needed more bunk space for my hubby. So we bought a Larson 260 instead and named her the Blue Pearl. And I have really enjoyed your pictures of the whales. So Happy Birthday from the Rendel's currently slipped at E3.

MarkJ said...

No way!!! 7:00??? The thought of such an atrocity!!! Wait! I do that almost every day. And we're roughly the same age.

Ok, I'm sorry. It's all about you today Jim. Hope you have a terrific day and that J, K, L, M, N and O pods come out and play with you! (And hoping you recharged your camera batteries to get lots of pics of them).

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

HRB, no that doesn't happen around here. The regulations call for no more than 7 knots when in the vicinity of the whales. These Southern Resident Killer Whales are VERY protected. We take great care when around them. I can see where this would happen in other parts of the world. We have seen this many times with the bottlenose dolphins in our home waters.

Cynthia - yes, I remember meeting you two in Friday Harbor. Sorry I missed you at Roche today. I'll be driving out of FH again tomorrow. Glad you hear you found a boat that works for your use, and thanks for the kind words about the whales.

Mark, I generally don't have to go in to work until 10am to noon(ish) depending on what boat I'm driving. Sorry if it sounded like a "Woe, is me." The few times we have something that early, and it happened today. And that's the way it goes. ;-) I had a good day on the water and managed to get lots of photos today (look for the post). Truth be told, I am kind of a morning person... I've gotten used to sending Joan off to work (she goes in early every work day), and I get more lounging and cat-walking time. I'm surprised you didn't mention anything about... P-Pod. ;-)

MarkJ said...

Sorry. I think I let my sarcastic mouth out without its controller yesterday. When I reread my post it didn't sound very nice about having to get going early. It was supposed to be giving you a hard timel. As you can tell, I'm the little brother who gives everybody a hard time. Comes over better when it's face to face. And by the way, how was P Pod??? And the pics were fantastic!!!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

You're fine, Mark. I wouldn't have kept up this blog so long if I didn't have a sense of humor. I didn't realize there really was a P-Pod... unless that is a new musical bedpan from Apple. ;-)