Friday, July 3, 2015

Yep, whales...


OK, I got the DSLR out and swapped lenses; that wide angle that works for the scooter photos isn't the answer for whales.

While prepping the boat, I got a report from one of the Canadian boats: Haro Strait, off-shore.  Driving from Friday Harbor, I knew I could get there in an hour or so.  He would be leaving before we got there, so we'd have to find them with a "general area" to go by.  Better than no report.

We were miles away from that area when I saw this...


And, no other boats around.  I made a location report, and our naturalist, Brendan, made an ID: the "cookie clan"... J-Pod family, Oreo and DoubleStuff.  We traveled along with them for a while before going further south.  It was a good day on the water - Orcas, eagles, seals, even saw a couple Minke whales on our way home.

A few more images...







2 comments:

MarkJ said...

Great pics Jim! Way to multi task with the camera!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Mark. A nice day out there. We were able to shut down for a time while the whales were milling; gives me a chance to get a few photos.