Sunday, July 26, 2015

You may be right - I may be crazy...


100 bonus points if you said, "Billy Joel, 1980, from the album Glass Houses.

Another line from that song: "... even rode my motorcycle in the rain..."

Today is my "Friday."  The last three weeks, I have had to work on Monday, but (for some wonderful reason) I get my agreed-upon 3 days off this week!

Going to work today, I... rode my motorcycle in the rain.  It stopped just before I got to Roche Harbor.   Gray, but dry while we prepped the boat.  No whale reports before we shoved off, but I got one before we got out of the harbor: a humpback about a half hour away - we have a plan!

Before we got to the humpback - which turned out to be a humpback momma and calf - it started to rain.  I had my rain gear on before it started.  There were only a couple boats on the humpbacks when we got there; nice viewing, including plenty of flukes.

As usual, I didn't have time for many photos, but grabbed this one right before we were ready to leave...


Hey, it was raining - my little pocket camera isn't waterproof!

Also as usual, we did some other wildlife viewing on the way back.  Rachel, our naturalist, asked if we could stop and pick up some bull-kelp to show the guests... "Sure."  She drug a big ol' hunk of it onboard... showed them, explained what it is used for and how it grows, even let them take a bite of it, if they wanted to give it a shot.  In the rain.  The guests enjoyed it.  We saw some bald eagles hunkered down... they don't much like to be wet.

Back at our dock, we thanked the guests - good attitude and a spirit of adventure.  We strung up some line to hang seat cushions - some of them were completely soaked.  We put the boat away, and I headed for the scoot.  In the rain.

On the way home, it was raining harder.  It had rained enough that the indentations in the road from the tire tracks were holding water.  The center part of the lane is where grease drops off the car engines, and is slippery when wet.  Over the past 40+ years of riding motorcycles, I have "out-grown" any desire to ride in the rain.   Amazing that we are now approaching our 2/3 point here, and this is the first real rain (besides the occasionally drizzly stuff) for my commute.

Still, not a bad day.  Humpbacks are cool.  Guests who can handle a little weather are good.  And, did I mention: it's my Friday!


No comments: