Wednesday, August 19, 2015

I got through...


Not to Winnebago - I was on hold for a long time this morning before I gave up... the continual "warning" that parts had to be ordered through a dealer finally convinced me that they wouldn't be able to help me.  I called Coleman again, made it through their "press this number for ..." and after just a couple minutes, talked to a real live person.

Their recorded message for the RV air-conditioner tech support let you know that "there are dangerous high voltage electrical components..." and warned that "retail customers should have a certified RV technician do the work..."

I explained our situation to my new friend Eric... on an island, no RV dealer here, no RV repair tech here, it's hot, we'd like our air-conditioner to be functional, $350 to put the RV on the ferry, etc, etc.

I let him know I opened up the air-conditioner and diagnosed the problem as a broken fan and a problem with the motor mounts (that probably caused the issue with the fan).  He said, "If you did that, you should be able to replace the parts - I'll get a fan kit and a motor mount kit sent out to you right away."

"Really?"

Really.  No other paper work.  No "call your dealer."  Just: "Sorry you had a problem.  Let's get you fixed up.  If you don't want to do the work, we'll pay for the service."  (That meant me taking the RV to an authorized service place.  I called a mobile service place in Oak Harbor and was quoted $420 just to come to Friday Harbor.  I understand that: driving up from Oak Harbor to Anacortes, waiting in line for the ferry, the hour and 10 minute ferry ride, 10 minutes to get to us, an hour to fix it, then going back with the lines, the ferry, etc.

It is supposed to be another warm one today.  Other than laundry, we can hang out here at the motorhome, so Izzy can be outside in the shade.  We know how to keep cool without the a/c: keep the shades down, draw outside air from the shady side through the motorhome with the Fantastic roof fan, don't cook, awning out.  A scooter ride by the water helps, too... I wonder if we can bungee Izzy to the bike??  ;-)


2 comments:

MarkJ said...

I want to see the pick of Izzy on the bike! Actually I'd rather see a video of the attempted "bungying"!!!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

I'll let Joan try to strap Iz on the bike... that is one very strong-willed cat. Maybe if I gave her a couple kitty tranquilizers (and took one for myself)? Actually, Izzy is pretty smart about keeping cool or warm, as necessary. There have been a couple cool mornings where Joan has said something about "putting Izzy's sweater on her"... neither Izzy nor the walking guy is particularly enthusiastic about that. ;-)