Sunday, August 9, 2015

I have to admit...


I wasn't looking forward to this trip.  An 8:00 am departure for a 3-4 hour charter trip.  There were already guests scheduled on our 11:00 am departure.  Oh, and the only info I was given on the charter was: it is a wedding party.  I have a bit of experience with wedding parties... they are never on time.  Oh, they intend to be, but there are too many parties involved, and most of them don't care as much as the bride and groom and their parents.

Do the math: a 3 to 4 hour trip, where only three hours are available... knowing that they will be late... and absolutely zero time allowed for any kind of a turn-around between trips.  When I voiced my displeasure with that scheduling, I was told, "We'll just push the 11:00 back or tell them we are running behind when they check in."  I expressed my opinion once again... odds are pretty good I wasn't subtle about it: it is disrespectful of people's time to "push" them after they have already scheduled for a trip.  Oh, I understand that circumstances come up, but I don't go looking for those circumstances.

Starting out like that, it makes for a less than pleasant day to look forward towards.  The day before, I was told that the 11:00 folks had been contacted and "were happy" to move.  If that is the case, then we have way less issue.  Glad to see some initiative taken to make sure we are being considerate.

Now, before you say, "Joan would never ..." - you are right.  This did not occur in our Friday Harbor office.

To add to the fun, the weather weasels were predicting a 70% chance of precip for today, as of yesterday morning.

As the day wore on yesterday, each time I checked weather, the percentage of precip prediction diminshed.  When we went to bed last night, it was down to 10 to 20% chance.

I didn't hear the "pitter-patter" of raindrops during the night.  We were up at 5:15... it was dark(ish); the sky was cloudy, but it didn't look threatening.  Time to put on a happy face.

I take some responsibility for it not raining today: I put my rain-gear on before I hopped on the scoot this morning.  I got to the boat before 7:00 am to start prepping for our trips.  No whale reports.

The father of the groom came by the boat to introduce himself - he is the one in charge of the charter.  Nice man.  He told me that they were planning 24 people and that they "know they need to be on time."  I started boarding guests as they arrived... when departure time rolled around, we had 11.  No bride or groom... it was all people the same age as the groom's father, except one young lady who let me know she needed to be "back on time to help the bride get ready."  At the groom's father's request, we waited a while to see if anyone else was coming.  His brother said, "The young ones were all in the bar until late last night - I can't imagine they are going to make it."  Still no whale reports.

All nice folks; we visited while we waited.  Finally, at 20 minutes beyond the scheduled departure time, I was told: "OK, let's go with what we have."  I did a short orientation and we shoved off.  With no whale reports.

I planned to head out Mosquito Pass and see if there was any activity in Haro Strait.  Leaving the harbor, I got a whale report: whales off the southwest part of the island.  I visited with the folks onboard, let them know that, if we hoped to get to those whales, we couldn't do it in the time allotted... everyone said, "Let's go for the whales!"  Well, except the one young lady who need to be back to help the bride get ready.  We compromised: let's head that direction and see how the time plays out.  Most of these folks really wanted to see Orcas.

I ran at our top cruising RPM as we headed south in Haro Strait.  Against a flood tide.  First mate Mike and I kept a constant scan out for dorsal fins and spray.  A half hour out of Mosquito Pass - whales!  I especially like it when we are the first boat to find them.  A big cheer from the guests!

This is going to go well - the whales are moving in the direction back to Roche.  Viewing and getting closer is a very good thing!  J-Pod was active and moving up-island at about 6 knots.  We texted the info in and called our Friday Harbor boat that is also out on a morning charter.

The overcast sky parted and we were blessed with sunshine.  Happy guests.  Happy crew.  We were moving with the current.  And whales!

Our first view...


You have to look close - there is a dorsal fin!  The viewing got much better; I had my hands full at the helm, not much time for photos.  At one point, our buddy Blackberry came calling...


The whales walked us right back to the opening at Mosquito Pass.  Then, around to Kellet Bluff on Henry Island.  Lots of good activity.  I let the guests know that we would be getting our last looks and heading north around Henry Island and back into Roche Harbor.

One guy on the boat summed it up nicely: "Too bad for the others who didn't get up to come on this trip - that was incredible!"

Yep.  And sunshine as we headed in...


Lots of thank-yous and hand-shakes as our guests got off the boat.  I have to say, it was a very fine way to start the day.

We were back in time to spruce up the boat and be ready for our next trip.  A full boat with only 6 people from the land of no clocks, but we were reasonably close to departing on time.  I wasn't overly concerned - I had whales right outside Roche Harbor.  I have joked, when people ask, "Where are the whales?"

"According to the brochures, they are right outside the harbor; smiling and waving to the people on boats.  Handing out brochures.  Posing for photos."

Well, that was pretty darn close to the second trip today.  We rode along with the whales from right outside Roche, north to Pender Island in the Canadian Gulf Islands.  The whales were great on our first trip... they were exhibiting every behavior on the second trip!  Breaches, spy hops, pectoral waves, tail slaps, a couple cartwheels, porpoising... it was an amazing display of Orca behavior!  The crowning behavior: a double breach!  (Only the second I've seen this season)

And these guests were some of the most excited I've had on the boat - they cheered every fun behavior they saw... every time.


There were a string of boats on the other side of the whales... we were pretty much it on the closer side, until the Victoria Clipper joined us...



As the whales moved closer to Stuart Island, I could see I was going to need to move to the other side.  And more boats...


As we approached Turn Point, the number of boats dropped off considerably... and the "whale action" really picked up.  As usual, I wasn't able to get all the breaches and cartwheels, but I sure enjoyed the lulls in the driving where I could get off a shot or two...





When it was time for last looks, I shut down the engine, and we watched (and listened) as the whales continued their trek north.  One of the big males did several pectoral slaps - the sound really carries on the water.  Yeah, I think he was waving good-bye.  ;-)

We took the scenic route home, through John's Pass (one of my favorites).  Yes, there were bald eagles and seals.  A view of Mt. Baker from the boat...


Nice when a day you aren't particularly looking foward to turns out so well!

----------------------------

I am back on my three days off each week, with my Honey.  Time IS important.  This was a nice way to wrap up my work week, and I may take a day or two off from posting, as well.


No comments: