Saturday, August 15, 2015

Oh - K!


Not to be confused with: OK.  We spent time with some of our K-Pod friends today.

I came to work early today.  The boat needs fuel and the holding tank needs to be pumped.  I tried twice to get to the fuel dock yesterday, but each time I would get away from our dock, planning to get to the fuel dock, another boat would get in there before us.  In the rain.  And one big boat seemed to have set up a semi-permanent residence in front of the pump out.

I was moderately appalled when I parked my scooter: someone had thrown trash in the grass at the bike parking... 3 coffee cups and a glass bottle of half drunk juice.  Yeah, I stopped to pick it up and throw it in the garbage can, about 30 steps away.  Damn lazy-ass people.

I had a nice meal at the restaurant, waiting for an opening at the fuel dock.  Yep, about the time they brought my food, a space opened up.  Timing.  I had asked first mate/naturalist Alex to come in 45 minutes early so we could fuel and pump out.  Before she got there, a spot opened up, and I fired up the boat, untied lines, backed out, rotated, and headed for that opening.  A small Lund roared in there before me, and a young couple hopped off the boat and started walking away.

To be sure they could hear me, I hollered to one of the fuel dock attendants and asked, "What's the status with that Lund?"

The guy said, "We're just going to the store - we won't be that long."

"I need to fuel up, and you are parked right in the middle of the dock... any chance you could move to one end or the other?"  I didn't want to say anything, but the fuel attendant wasn't going to.  The guy grudgingly moved his boat.  Over to our slip.  I guess he was gonna show me.  I don't really give a rat's rear, I just need to fuel the boat... and since the open spot was right at the pump out, take care of that, too.

First mate Alex arrived while I was fueling.  She started getting the boat cleaned up while I finished fueling.  Nice to have someone to handle the lines for the trip back to our dock.  It took over a half hour to fill our tanks, and the small Lund was just pulling away as we backed off from the fuel dock... sure glad I didn't wait for him to vacate the fuel dock.

The guests were all checked in and on time... not an everyday occurrence on this side of the island.  Nice folks.  I did a safety briefing and explained my plan to get us to the whales.  They were fired up.  We left the dock 2 minutes early.  I do believe that is a first here (and a regular happening at Friday Harbor).

The current was adverse as we made our way to the whales, but the water was blissfully calm...


Nice change from the past couple days.  The whale viewing was great - K-Pod was active, with regular breaches (also not an everyday happening).  Surprisingly, not a bunch of boats on the scene.  As usual, I had my hands full and got one quick opportunity for a mostly missed shot...


After some very nice time with the whales, I shut down the boat, and we all watched them continue to move on.  Nice way to say bye-bye.  Heading north with the current, we were making good time.  On smooth water.  The gray skies began to break up a bit - some of those famous "sun breaks"...



It was a very nice way to wrap up the trip.  By the time we turned into Roche Harbor, there was plenty of sunshine.  Took it all day to happen, but I do appreciate the sunshine.

For some reason, we seemed to attract private boaters while we were cleaning up the boat... they all wanted to tell us how they drive right up to the whales.  Not easy for me to hold my tongue, but I try to not be argumentative and just tell them what they laws are... "For your sake, let's hope you don't get a big fine in the mail if NOAA or WDFW got your registration number."

Then, they all want to tell me how "It wasn't my fault!!  The whales came up to me!!"  Hey, I'm just trying to get the boat rinsed off.  ;-)

Walking back to my scooter, I got homesick... no, not necessarily for Texas, but for this...


Famous Dave's... some group is apparently getting some fine catering!

When I got home, Joan said, "You won't believe what I saw driving through Friday Harbor today - a Famous Dave's catering truck!  Oh, I miss that bar-b-que!"

Yeah, I believe her.  ;-)


2 comments:

MarkJ said...

Sure glad you didn't take a break from posting Captain! I NEED my daily fix!!! ;-)

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Mark. Each day seems to be something unique... it has been quite a season.