Friday, August 14, 2015

When the rain comes...


I made it to Roche before the rain started; had a nice hot breakfast at the Lime Kiln Cafe before prepping the boat.

We had a boat full of guests who were there to see some whales.  No whale reports.  On the bright side, the weather weasel predictions of thunderstorms didn't happen.  The rain was mostly light.  Heading out of the marina, I got the first whale report... too far north.  Then another... too far south and east.  Then one that was on the edge of our range... that's where we're going.

The wind was blowing in the mid-teens from the south, making for a lumpy ride down the west side of San Juan Island.  With my binoculars, I could just see the other boat that was with the whales... off shore and in even lumpier water.  Naturalist Rachel came up to the helm and said, "Whales!  Ten o'clock!  Close to shore!"

Even better!  I slowed us down and set up a position for viewing.  Rachel found these whales - transients, instead of the residents that were at least 15 minutes further.  And, these whales were going back up-island (the direction home for us).

The wind was blowing, the water was lumpy, but closer to shore gave us a better ride.  Going with the wind and waves helps, too.  I called it in; we had them to ourselves for almost a half hour when one of the orange Canadian Zods (Zodiacs, boat name Stellar) joined us.  Then cut right in front of us... after the third time, I called him out on the radio.  He was also running up too close to the whales.  No response.

Another driver on a different boat from the same company came back on the radio.  "I can't imagine one of our guys would do that."  Probably why that boat got a visit from SoundWatch (the third boat on the scene).  Yes, the distance rules are different in Canada... this guy was in US waters, close to shore.  Too close to the whales.  Intentionally.  When we are the ONLY TWO WHALE WATCH BOATS with these whales.

I remember as a kid reading about the time in the 1890s when there were only two cars in the entire state of Ohio... and they crashed into each other.  That's how it felt with this guy in the orange Zod... plenty of room, but the only place he could view was right in front of us??

Not sure what SoundWatch said to the dumbass, but I suggested he might learn the laws and proper etiquette when around the whales.  And, yes, I was that polite.  We make it a point to not cut off anyone's view.

A few other boats joined us as we slogged up-island.  Apparently those drivers do know the laws.  The offender took off after his visit from SoundWatch.

The transients were making time, stopping a time or two to kill and share.  One of our guests had seen transients before and was not wanting to see the blood and gore... this group kept it pretty mild.

Naturalist Rachel tells me that is a new calf we saw with this group - I think we're the first to see it!

Once back to Mosquito Pass, we broke off from the other boats that were there, cruised along Henry Island, saw a fine looking bald eagle, and continued around Henry Island and back into Roche Harbor.

During the time we were going north, I wasn't getting rained on at the open helm.  Rachel said the folks who chose to sit at the back of the boat were getting wet... you might let them know that they can move to a dryer place on the boat.  ;-)

I didn't take my pocket camera out of my dry-bag, thanks to the rain.  A wet, chilly, windy, lumpy day, but we did get some nice whale viewing.

More rain on the ride home, one little Bambi who chose to dart out in front of me on those wet roads (brakes work fine).  Some standing water in the low spots on the road.  About a half hour after I put the scoot away, the rain stopped.

The high to day was only supposed to be 66º... 62º was as high as I saw.  I just checked - yeah, it is mid-August.

Hope my Honey doesn't have to ride home in the rain.


No comments: