Wednesday, September 23, 2015

OMG - it is SO HOT!!!


That is something our daughter says to us when we talk to her (in Phoenix).  Yeah, it's the desert - it's hot; we get that.

We rolled into Arizona today... OH MY GOD - IT IS SO HOT!!!!  Well, the thermometer in the motorhome said the outside air temp was 96º... that is because it doesn't go up to ONE HUNDRED NINETY-SIX degrees.

When ever we would stop, Joan and I would have a sweating contest... yeah, I am kicking her butt.  She does, however, look better in a wet t-shirt than I do... but, I digress.

Here's how you know you are in Arizona: the roads...


They wind through the desert, without much in the way of life on either side.  Well, there is life - we stopped for a bit in a rest area, to get Izzy some lunch...


There was a sign in the rest area that said: "Warning - dangerous snakes and insects in the area!"  So, we have that going for us.

They must have had some moisture, because it wasn't mostly brown, as you'd expect in late September.  Cacti...



Joshua Trees...



A coyote ran across the road in front of us; no, I didn't get a photo.  His tongue was hanging out, and I would imagine that asphalt was damn hot.  Poor critter.

We are down for the next 5 nights in a very nice resort.  We got an e-mail from them... Joan checked, and they take Passport America until October 1st.  For up to 5 nights.  Such a deal.  The park is mostly empty right now (that's why they take PA this time of year).  We are on a "premium site"... we have more gravel than the standard sites.  It is a new part of the resort that they are working on... they are still moving gravel around.  The premium sites are pull-through and wider than the standard sites.  Not a big deal, since the next closest RV is 4 sites away.  ;-)

Steph and Dan have to work late, so we won't head over to visit them until dusk... it may be down to 172º by then.  On the bright side, one of us will get to drive the car back to our site, and it has air conditioning!

Speaking of air conditioning, while we were getting set up on the site, we didn't turn off the dash air conditioner until we had the coach plugged in, the roof a/c on.  Then, we went about getting the jacks down and the utilities set up.  I am pretty sure the air conditioner is going to get a real workout while we're here; good thing I was able to get it fixed before we left the San Juans.

I did call the dealer here in Phoenix about another part we need to replace... I think they are booked with service appointments until 2018 right now.  Really?  That many people want to use RVs in this heat?  Maybe they are headed north into the mountains?  It got into the 30s at night while we were in Bryce Canyon.  I don't know if I mentioned this, but this heat is a bit of a shock to the system.

;-)

-----------------

Izzy cornered a fly in the motorhome... caught it mid-air and put it in her mouth (her paws have amazing dexterity).  You could see the look of "What do I do now?" as she moved her head back and forth.  Then "chomp... chew, chew, chew."

Ewwww - fly breath.

-----------------

On edit: got to see my kid, son-in-law and grand-cats tonight - sure missed 'em.  They are both teachers and up to their eyeballs with teacher conferences through tomorrow.  So, tonight was just a "preview" for some upcoming together time.  And that's why we're here... in the (hot) big city.  :-)


2 comments:

MarkJ said...

Told ya so!!!! Ya just never listen. Arizona in NOVEMBER!!!!!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Ah, that was more for my kid than anything else. We knew it would be hot here. For the record, I do listen... I just don't follow advice. Here is where my kid is, so here is where we'll be. Got to seem them tonight - made my whole day! :-)