Monday, October 12, 2015

Congestion and Construction...


Yep, a traveling day.  We said good-bye to Steph and Dan this morning, and hit the road.  Decisions, decisions: take two lanes or make some miles on "the slab"?

I don't think I made the right choice.  I looked at the map apps - less time to stay on the Interstate, even though the distance is about the same.  We've made this drive many times... along the way, more decisions: head for home or spend another few days poking around.  Interestingly enough, we are both ready to spend some time at home.  After 4 days at that resort, the motorhome is coated with several layers of powdery white dust... it is an ugly mess.

Most RV parks don't let you wash your rig - I can do that at home.  Then, soak in my own jacuzzi tub.  The way God intends you to soak.  To get the stiffness out of the muscles after washing off endless layers of powdery white dust.  Did I mention the dust?

We knew it would be a two-day trip, since we didn't get out of the resort until almost 11:00.  We also heard there was "some construction."  That is a bit like saying, "August is a bit warm in Phoenix."  Or, "the Pope is kinda Catholic."  There were more miles of construction than not.  From Ft. Worth to New Braunfels (just north of San Antonio), where we are down for the night.

I was determined to spend the night on a nice concrete pad.  With NO dust.  Joan found us a place in New Braunfels... close to the Interstate... well, truth be told, it is almost under the Interstate where it crosses the Guadelupe River.  The road noise is loud.  As loud as Oasis Las Vegas was.  But, the temp was 99º when we rolled in, so I think we will have the air conditioner running all night.

To go along with the construction, we had a 15 to 20 mph headwind.  8.5 miles per gallon thanks to that.  The GPS said we would be in around 3:30.  We got in just before 5:00, thanks to the bumper-to-bumper traffic through Austin.  Yes, we know there will be traffic there... we just didn't expect it to be SO thick before 3:00.

As usual, the crazies just from lane to lane.  When all is said and done (we kept track of some of them), they generally don't gain any time or speed by the incessant lane-changing... they just make the road a more dangerous place.  It takes a bit more distance to stop and RV than a car.  I leave a bit of space in front of me, and one of the crazies fills it.  I leave a bit of space between me and the crazy, and another crazy fills it.  Joan watched one woman (pulling a horse trailer with a pickup truck) texting, talking on her phone, and doing makeup in her rear view mirror... all over a 30 minute period... while occasionally switching lanes, for no gain.

Yeah, I should have taken the back roads.

Besides the orange signs, traffic cones, and concrete barriers, this was my view for most of the day...



But, we are safely down for the day.  I don't have it in me to take a scoot out for supper - we'll cook in.  I'll take Izzy for a walk... with no sand-burrs.  She was a good traveler today; didn't make a peep through all the crappy road.  Came out for lunch when we made a stop.  I was not such a good traveler... I saw the semi that came within three inches of our trailer wheel, during many of the zig and zags through the construction.  Izzy gets to lay in back, on the bed, and snooze... I need to teach that cat how to drive!  ;-)







:knary

------------------

The RV Park

Here's a look at the RV park we are in tonight.  We have seen this one from the road many times, but never stayed here.  When I said it is below the Interstate, here's what I mean...



That is I-35 on either of those bridges.  The park is actually below and between the north and south bound lanes.  A small bit of grass between the sites...


We requested a pull-through site - they also have sites right on the river...


Had I known, I would have gone for one of those sites, for Izzy.  There are geese by the river...



I took her outside for a bit on that grass by our site, but she wanted to be in the air conditioning... I SO get that.  ;-)



I would come back here, sometime when it is cooler.  And bring the kayaks.  And ear plugs.  ;-)


No comments: