Sunday, May 1, 2016

Hoppin'...


Nothing to do with a bunny trail.

It has been a while since I participated in the scooter tag game.  The latest tag was a bit of a gimme for me: your scoot with a boat ramp or something boat related - I wouldn't even have to leave our little island for that.

I talked Joan into going for a scooter ride; I picked up the tag on our way off our island, there is a private boat ramp there for our village.  I suggested we head out towards Bayview, which doesn't actually have a view of the bay.  Joan suggested we ride across the causeway to South Padre Island.

"That sounds good, too - plenty of good tagging opportunities (my turn to come up with a new tag).  The speed limit on the causeway is 55, so no problem for the scoots.  About 2/3 of the way across, traffic had come to a stand-still.  Hmmm, didn't look that crowded when we first got on the causeway.

There was a bicycle race from Brownsville to South Padre this morning.  SPLASH (a gay, lesbian, and all those other initials) gathering is happening on the island this weekend.  And, the fact that it is warm and humid has brought a LOT of people from the Valley to the island - it is always cooler here.

So, we inched our way along in stop and go traffic for a mile or so.  Not a big deal - we had a nice view of the Laguna Madre and the high rises on the island; and a banner-towing plane pulling the "flying billboards" around.  Seems that most of the traffic was turning right, to get to the county beach park.  We turned left.

I was thinking about getting a shot of the scoot with one of the tourist shops, then... we drove by the South Padre Island water tower.  I like that premise - the new tag...


... your scoot by a water tower with a town name on it.

We rode around the island a bit.  Didn't feel like trying to mix it up with the crowds at the beach.  I was mostly looking for some two-wheel time.  The side streets on the island were blissfully traffic free.

I heard from my buddy Mike this morning - they are home in Colorado and got snowed on again.  Between the cold/snow and hot/humid, I'll take the warmth.

Oh, and Happy May Day!

No comments: