Thursday, September 8, 2016

Things that go bump in the night...


Last night, after we turned in, there was a "thump."  I thought it sounded like the door slamming on the old mobile home near us (it sometimes blows open in the wind) - Joan thought it felt like someone or something slammed a storage door on our coach (it came from her side).

I put on pants and shoes and went outside to investigate.  As I came around the back side of our coach, I shined the flashlight that direction and saw... two deer.  A bit of a cliche', but they had that "deer in the headlights" look!  They were close to the coach - one of them must have bumped into it.  I took a step closer and they bolted.

Back inside, Joan asked if there were "antler marks on the side of the coach?"

No, these were small - no antlers.  I didn't see any evidence of a deer attack on our coach.  One of them may have tripped on our utilities in the dark.

-------------------

While I was putting away utilities (water, sewer, electric, satellite TV, cell booster), Joan was getting the inside of the coach ready to roll.  She said, "I got an e-mail notice from the ferry: the 8:05 coming into Friday Harbor has been canceled due to a mechanical problem... that may affect our getting on the 11:00 ferry - all those 8:00 people will be ahead of us."

We got down to the ferry landing over an hour early - it was already thick with vehicles.  The first ferry worker wanted to send us to one of the satellite parking lots, an almost guarantee that we weren't going to get on the 11:00.  He was frazzled.

Another guy came up to write which satellite lot we'd be in on our windshield... I "negotiated," letting him know that we had an appointment on the mainland... which in the broad sense of the phrase was true: we need to get to Discount Tire to get two tires pumped up that my inflator can't access.  I saw there was one spot in the large vehicle lane that was empty... "We can fit in there - it is the motorhome, the cargo trailer and that white Honda behind us."

He could see that I was going to continue the discussion and said, "Yeah, take that spot.

Almost a guarantee that we will get on the next ferry.  It is going to be a mess all day for any vehicles trying to get on or off the island.  In the meantime, I got a call from our boss: "You aren't going to go without saying 'Good-bye' and having a hug-fest, are you?"

It is only a block or so from the ferry landing; I said, "We'll be there in a few minutes."

We got to say a proper "Good-bye" to Brian, Pat and some of the desk staff Joan worked with.  Back to the motorhome and...



The ferry (our departure) is arriving!  On time!  We are in lane 5, so unless they "pull some switchies," we are going to get on this ferry.  The lady in the car next to us got out, looked over at me (driver's window was down) and said, "My car won't start!  I don't know what to do!"

I got out and said, "I have a jumper battery - we'll get you going."  She had been waiting since before 7:30, with the key on so she could charge her phone.  She didn't know how to pop the hood on her Subaru (more Subarus per capita on this island than anywhere else in the world).  I got our jumper out, popped the hood on her car, hooked up, and... it started right up.  "Better leave it running 'till you get on the ferry."

We watched and waited, so see if we were going to get on...


Yes!  We are loading up...


They separated the motorhome and the Honda - the car is smaller and will fit in the lanes on the sides - the motorhome will have to go in the middle (three lanes across)...


I waited outside the coach until Joan showed up - yep, all the vehicles, both of us, and a cute kitty are on!  We went to the passenger area (Izzy stayed in the motorhome)...


This is M/V Sammish, the newest vessel in the San Juans Washington State Ferry fleet: comfortable seating, a "sun deck," and a quieter and smoother ride than any of the other ferries.  It just went into service last year.  I walked outside to get a few photos...


The Friday Harbor Commercial Docks area.  Our office is in the lower level of the yellow building...


The San Juan Safaris boats...


Spring Street Landing and the fuel docks...


Commercial boats only on that pier in front.  If the ferry arrival was coinciding with our arrival, I would put the boat at that pier until the swirl from the prop wash subsided.  No problem loading/unloading passengers there.

Off we go.  I could finally breathe a sigh.  I went outside to get a few photos of views on the water - no idea if or when we'll be back...





That is a Ranger Tug above - they are having a factory sponsored gathering in Roche Harbor, starting today, and running through the weekend.  They do it up nice.  And below, the view of the front windows on the ferry...


One last water view before it was time to head back to our vehicles...


This is a spectacular area... I will miss those gorgeous daily views.

Landing at Anacortes, my row was one of the first off the ferry.  Joan will be somewhere behind me, but she will catch up.  Everything seems to be working fine with the motorhome; it will take a while to get familiar with the navigation system again.

View from the bridge over the Swinomish Channel...



For a few days, we will be all about making some miles... so we can get to a state where it is legal to double tow, and we'll get to ride together again.

Down for the night in an RV park...


Quite different from the setting we have been in the last three months.  Izzy wanted to go for a walk, but the grass is "squishy"... and she can't take her shoes off at the door.  Because she doesn't wear shoes.  'Cause she is a cat.  I tried to explain that to her... "I am Izzy!"

Yes, you sweet little thing; yes, you are.  She made the ride fine, including the steep decline in the ferry landing, riding in the coach while on the ferry, and on the road.  Such a good little traveler.


No comments: