Monday, October 3, 2016

Gate Status...


Some might call it: gate envy.

The free park last night worked out just fine.  Iz did get to for a walk last night...


Until we discoverd the cockleburrs.  This morning, she really wanted to go outside... I found myself trying to explain about the cockleburrs.  To a cat.  She settled in on top of the pillow shams...


About 250 miles to do today, to an RV resort where we plan to spend a couple days.  Still doing the two-lane thing...


Heading into west Texas, we started to see cacti...


And, the occasional hint of fall colors...


I'm sure the trees get confused here: the days are shorter, but it is still plenty warm (we saw a high of 84º today).    The road was mostly lumpy, but not much traffic... until I said, "Not much traffic t..."  I didn't get the sentence out, when a semi loaded with an earth-mover pulled out of a driveway in front of us.  We went slow for a while, until he turned off.

We stopped to fuel up - gas for $1.92.  More lousy MPG - more wind right on the nose.  Continuing south, we came to the town of Eden.  Not sure what I was expecting, but it didn't look like "paradise" to me...


However, we did get about 10 miles of lovely smooth 4-lane highway...


About the title of this post: we came across quite a few game ranches along this stretch.  We noticed that there seemed to be a bit of "gate status" (my terminology): some of the gates were quite impressive, some not so much.  I made this observation before getting any photos... since I am the driver, Joan got into trying to capture photos of the gates - not easy when you are going by them at 60 mph...



Some have a fancy pickup, snake-skin boots, a big ol' Stetson - all status symbols... here, it is gates.




Not so easy, huh?  ;-)



Yep, we are getting into Hill Country...


We stopped for lunch in Junction, then turned east onto I-10 (for about 20 miles)...



We aren't the only ones double towing along here - that photo above is of a pickup pulling a HitchHiker 5th wheel, with a pontoon boat behind that.

The Hill Country scenery from I-10...



We turned off I-10, with another 10 miles to go on a side road.  Our destination: Johnson Creek RV Resort.  The HitchHiker bunch that I still communicate with has done gatherings at this park; we haven't been here before, but are stopping for a couple days, based on their recommendation.

There is a hierarchy of places to put your RV (my opinion):
* dry camping: a Walmart, truckstop, or any area you can get off the road and park overnight (no hookups).
* camping: a campground; often a State Park or National Park; may or may not have hookups.
* an RV park: a place set up for RVs (not tenting).  Hookups will be water, electric, sewer, and may have cable TV and wifi.  Many will have activities, and some are set up for long-term (or seasonal) parking.
* an RV Resort: an RV park that charges more.  ;-)  I expect a "resort" to have paved parking, nice landscaping, security, pool, hot tub, event/activity center... it should just feel more upscale.  Some are very exclusive, allowing only Class A motorhomes (no Class B, Class C, 5th wheels or travel trailers).

There are a lot of RV parks that call themselves "resorts," without the upscale amenities.  ;-)  Johnson Creek seems nice.  They have concrete pads to park your RV, but some (like the one we are on) is pretty broken up.  No matter, it is a solid base for our coach.  The pad it plenty long, with enough length for our motorhome, car, and cargo trailer.

When we first pulled in, we drove by the site we were supposed to be in.  The lady at the front desk (same one I talked to when I made the reservation) said, "Yeah, I had to move you," when I mentioned that someone was in the site we were supposed to be in... "This one has a nicer view."

"Is it long enough for our length?"

"It is 48 feet, and has a nice view of the horse pasture," she said.

"We are 63 feet long.  We can certainly unhook and back in, but we will still be 63 feet long."

Big sigh from her.  From my perspective, there should be no "big sighs" when you are paying for a resort.  ;-)  I didn't change the plan, nor our length.  She started looking around for another place to put us.

We pulled in and started our "move in shuffle," getting the car unhooked, the coach pulled forward to get the car out, park the cargo trailer, put the coach back on the site, then park the car.  Then, hook up our utilites.  After plugging in the electric, I didn't hear the loud "click" that happens when the surge protector is done analyzing the power... I check on it... no power.  I turned off the breakers, turned them on again, and the power came on... for about 20 seconds.  Did it again... same result.  While Joan got the jacks down and slides out, I went back to the office.

The maintenance guy came right out and tried it, with the same results.  "Have you had this problem with your coach before?"

"Well, since it is turning off the power before the surge protector will let power to the coach, I am guessing it is your power pedestal," I said.

"I am guessing you are right."  He put in a new circuit breaker and all is good with the power.  Glad for that - I really didn't want to have to pack everything back up and go to another site.


Little Izzy is happy to have grass again...


"Yeah, you are going to have to be wiped down after rolling in the leaves."

"No stickers!"  She is a happy girl.

From the front of the coach, we can still see the horse pasture...


Well, they are little horses.  Is it politically correct to use that term instead of "ponies"??

--------------------

I took Iz for a walk, then played some guitar (to soothe the savage beast).  Then, it was Joan's turn to take Iz for a walk...




No comments: