Saturday, October 15, 2016

Options...



Since we've been home, I only got one other guitar out, besides the X7: my Taylor 522ce 12-fret. Before getting the X7, I considered that my most comfortable guitar. The 522 has the typical Taylor playability - in other words: sweet.

In between the moving-back-in process, I've been going back and forth between the 522 and the X7. I lowered the action on the X7 before we left in May - I was very happy with that. Now, after playing the 522 again some, I decided the X7 could use another tweak... I took the saddle down just a bit further and made an adjustment on the truss rod. Goodness, it is even better!

I am mostly a strummer, and was concerned about taking the action down too far and getting fret buzz... happy to report: no buzz when playing some serious strumming songs, tone still sounds great, and the action/comfort is a delight!

This morning, Joan said, "Well, I think it is time to get out some of your other guitars..." I think she likes to look at them on the wall.  We put out what there is room for on the wall, and the X7 on the stand by my chair. It may be the smallest of the bunch (my 814 feels huge right now!), but it holds its own. I don't think of it as my "travel" guitar - just another great instrument.

Joan also brought a fresh battery in for the hygrometer in the room... the X7 said, "What's that?"  ;-)  (For the non-guitar folks: the hygrometer keeps track of humidity; the wood guitars like to have a stable humidity... the carbon fiber guitars don't care about that.)




2 comments:

Hudson River Boater said...

I've never known much about Guitars-- Just knew how to enjoy Listening to them being Played.. Especially when Jerry or Phil where playing them..

Santana too..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqZceAQSJvc

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

HRB, I've been playing since I was 11 years old (same year I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan)... after all those years, I should be a lot better than I am, but I enjoy it.