Monday, January 2, 2017

Solo...


So, were you thinking: the red cup, or the man from U.N.C.L.E. whose first name was Napoleon?

Neither.  I went out on the boat by myself today.  The Blonde is still under the weather.  Yesterday was a lovely day, but I didn't even suggest the boat.  Today when I suggested it, she said, "Go out.  Have fun.  Tell the dolphins I said, 'Hi!' "  She even put together some snacks in a cooler for me.

And, she will get some rest.

The local NBC weather weasel was calling today: "Sunny and windy - gusts to 40 mph."  The hourly forecasts for the Weather Channel was calling it: sunny by noon, wind 10 mph or less all afternoon.  I decided to go with the Weather Channel prediction... it was in the upper 70s and near calm when I shoved off, just after noon.

No agenda... well, I was hoping to see some dolphins and take time to eat the snacks.  I know - a lot of pressure.  The water was completely calm when I passed through the turning basin, heading south(ish) in the Port Isabel Channel...


I slowed down to check out some birds...



That pretty water I mentioned earlier...


A happy boy - out on the water... and snacks!


The scarf is for sun protection; it was warm.  The only thing that would make this better (besides having my Honey beside me) would be some dolphins.  Oh, there's one...


A couple more...


I settled in for some viewing, when a couple ass-hats on a fishing boat ran right over the top of the dolphins!  No, it wasn't an accident - they had to change course; at 40 mph or so...


Don't get me wrong: I don't think fishermen are ass-hats... no doubt that these guys were, though.  I hollered, they waved.

That put a damper on the dolphin watching - they disappeared for a while.  It took me another 10 minutes or so to reacquire them.  In the meantime, I checked out the pelicans...


A juvenile flying (above), and white pelicans on the flats (below)...


I found the dolphins again...




No other boats around; it was peaceful...



Three jet-skis broke the peaceful setting, but they stayed in the middle of the ship channel as they blew by.  Finally, time to say good-bye to the dolphins and head for home...




Some more bird viewing on the way home...




There was a tug with two barges coming through the turning basin as I headed in...



It doesn't look that big from a distance, especially with those ships and oil platform in the background.  The perspective is different as it passes...


A sport-fisher goes by, kicking a 4 to 5 foot wake.  No choice but to go for the shore, then do a 180º turn into the wake.  It would have been ugly to take that on the beam... just some "bucking" when I take it on the bow.

Turning into the first canal at our place, a few more birds...




Nice day.  Topping 80º as I cleaned the boat.

Joan made some creamy scalloped potatoes, I grilled a couple steaks.  This was supposed to be our New Years Eve meal... a little late, but very tasty.  And, a nice way to start the new year.


No comments: