Friday, June 23, 2017

Fun for all ages...


Sound like an ad for an amusement park?  Even more entertaining, the Gear Fest has proven to be an interesting stop on our summer travels.  It is very apparent to me that there are still plenty of old rock ‘n rollers around, and young whippersnappers who are gearing up to make music, as well.

We got a slight break from the rain, and made the walk to the nearby shuttle stop...




Which took us to the line for registration...



Then, the rain started up in earnest once again.  There is a gap between these two tents at the entrance, so we were instructed to wait for an open check-in station before making the dash...


We were early in the registration process, which put us in line early for their “Deal Zone”... wasn’t anything I needed, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t find a couple hot deals.



We thought we’d be able to get a hot breakfast at their cafe.  We were wrong.  They started serving “hot lunch” at 9:00, but the photos on the wall of their breakfast entrees were apparently just for decor.  We made do with some turnovers, with a plan for an early lunch.  And, seeing pounding rain out the windows.


By this time, it was after 9:00, and the vendor booths outside were opening.  The rain had quit.  I mentioned that this event is large... the tents just seemed to go on and on.  I got to play a bunch of guitars, but nothing that made me want to take it home (the Emeralds have spoiled me).  The cacophony of sounds coming from all the booths was nearly overwhelming (maybe that has something to do with appreciating the sound of the guitars I played)... or, maybe I have outgrown banging on guitars?


Art deco amps...



Joan found cat stuff...


I had the opportunity to visit with the head guy from the company whose vocal harmonizers I use... he asked if there was anything I’d like to see changed... “Well, since you asked, that new Play Acoustic is a bit fussy when changing guitars and needing to readjust the tone and volume...”

He said, “I have just what you need, and it’s free!”  He explained that a firmware update would make that process much easier and faster to switch from one set-up to another.  Then he said, “How do you like the looper?”

“Well, the loop recording is on the short side,” I said.

“Yeah, we got that a lot - that same firmware update will double the time you have to lay down a loop!  How’s that?”  I had to admit those were the only issues I had, and the harmonies and guitar tone EQ are great.

We checked out more tents.






A “Flea Market” tent that was bigger than most music stores.  Still nothing I couldn’t live without.



 I was enjoying the people-watching...


Check out the expression on this vendor, watching this kid shred...


This guy had some avid fans...


Not all guitars - this kid is playing an electric cello...


We toured through the Gibson bus, and the adjoining Gibson 5th wheel...






A dad coaching his kid...


Cool amp with a clear cover on the head so you can see the tubes...


Time for that hot lunch.  Well, luke warm.  BBQ pork sandwiches, chicken fingers, hot dogs, and fries - all things that they can make in big quantities and keep the lines moving.  If needed, there are a dozen or so food truck vendors out by the tents.  Including a couple selling ice cream, which gave me a chance to cool my heels while satisfying my ice cream craving.

We saw a lot of very cool equipment... but, I don’t have much need for a $400 mic stand or amps that will blow your hair back.  I got the lowdown on a nice LR Baggs small PA (their take on the Bose premise), and got to check out the full line of Taylor guitars, as well as several other interesting brands.  Some good prices, but I saved my money.

When it was time to head out for the afternoon, the lady at the check out (there were dozens of check out stations), typed in my customer number and handed me a sheet... “Take this to the Purchase Pick Up tent, and they’ll have it for you.”

I expected a long wait.  I was wrong - I barely got sat down before someone brought my purchases out.

We decided to walk back to the coach, rather than wait for a shuttle.  The sky had turned black again (remnants of Tropical Storm Cindy have moved this far north), but seemed to turn to the east just south of us.  We arrived “home” dry.

A couple concerts tonight.  If my ears can take it (and my feet), we’ll probably check ‘em out.


No comments: