Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Postcards from the edge...


Well, more like postcards from the past.

We had supper tonight with John and his nephew Grant.  After supper and back at John's house, Grant said, "I'll bring in my postcard collection."

I have to admit, I didn't know what to expect.  Turns out, looking at the postcards Grant has collected from the 1910s to the 1960s, most that were from his Dad and other relatives, was very entertaining.  Grant said, "You've probably been to most of these places."  Yep.


There were cards from all over the country.  Joan and I were surprised to see that there were cards from our part of Texas, including Port Isabel...


And Bayview...


Cards from all over the country.  Some historic (those buildings are gone or the cities have grown so much you wouldn't recognize the scene from the cards), some just fun.


California, Colorado, Florida, Louisiana... we looked through a couple albums.  Some local historic views.  The Auditorium in the city where Joan and I grew up.  There were more than a few "I didn't know that!" moments.

This look from the bridge at Bahia Honda in the Florida Keys...


We didn't read what was written on the cards - seemed like reading someone else's mail, but we did check out the dates on the postmarks on a lot of 'em.  Many before we were born.

Our time here is about up - we'll hit the road tomorrow.


No comments: