Sunday, July 2, 2017

You get a nickle, I'll get a dime...


"We'll go out and find some wine..."  Our band did that song back in the 60s.  Yeah, we were about 12 or 13 years old... the adults thought it was cute.

Today, the plan was: tour a winery, do some tasting.  The weasels were calling for a 50% chance of precip, but it was a beautiful day - plenty of sunshine.  Before leaving our site, this guy scampered across our patio mat and into the grass...


Yes, turtles can scamper.  I don't think there's a lake or a creek close by here, but with all the moisture, we hear frogs and night... and then, this guy this morning.

The roads were dry and the farm scenery lovely as we made our way south towards Geneva...



This reminded us that winter is a thing here...


Paintings on the wall of a building in a small town we passed through...


We drove through the town of Waterloo - the birthplace of Memorial Day...


We drove around Geneva, looking for a philly-steak place.  The one we remembered from our last time here was gone, but we found a nice pub with outside seating...


A prime rib philly for me, a reuben for Joan.  With bellies full, we headed for one of the many wineries on Seneca Lake...


This one offers tours and has their own vineyards as well as doing wine production.



The place was busy when we went in, but we found a tasting room that wasn't packed...


Joan found a couple wines she liked.  I am a wine luddite - now, if they had ice cream tasting, I'd be all in!  I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, "Yeah, they all taste the same to me."  But, being a good sport, I sipped, sniffed, and nodded.  ;-)

We walked around the shop and looked around outside before the tour started...





On with the tour...


Baby grapes...


Checking out some of the vines...




We enjoy learning how each winery makes their wines.





Back to their store, where we got a couple bottles, then time to head out...



Before heading home, we stopped to take in some of the views of Seneca Lake (one of the Finger Lakes)...




On the way home, I did get my ice cream.  :-)


No comments: