Wednesday, September 20, 2017

It isn't the heat, it's the humidity...


We went after the "cleaning chores" today... divide and conquer: Joan wanted to powerwash the siding and the hurricane shutters on the house; I planned to wash the coach.  We got out reasonably early this morning, before "the heat of the day."

That was the plan.

I could hear the powerwasher running while I scrubbed the motorhome by hand with a brush (my preferred way to clean it), with baby shampoo, then go over it with a long-handled miracle brush.

Joan put ice water in our Hydro-flasks so we could stay hydrated.

I had to go over the front of the coach several times - we splattered a lot of bugs through Arkansas and Texas.  Two hours into my project, I was tired but satisfied that the Aspect was looking good again.  The temperature at the time was 86º... with a "feels like" of 104º due to the humidity.  While picking up my washing stuff, I bent over and felt woosey... I straightened back up and saw my vision was narrowing... I think I am close to passing out.  While standing on a concrete RV pad.  I have never had heat exhaustion before, but I'm thinking this is it.  My goal was to get inside the RV before my rubbery legs gave out and I face planted on the concrete.

Almost made it.  I got the coach door open, started to raise my leg up to go inside, and the other leg said, "Nope."  On the bright side, I did have most of my self in the coach and could feel that wonderful air conditioning.  I sat/laid there for a bit deciding what to do next.  My shirt is wringing wet - I pawed at the buttons, but my fingers didn't want to cooperate.  Sitting mostly in the coach, feet and some legs outside, I turned enough to see where Joan was powerwashing the house.  I waved... she didn't see me.  Waved again... she is focused on her work.

On about the 8th wave, she waved back.  And, there is a palm tree between us, so she can't see that I am in need of a hand.  Around the 10th wave, she figured out something wasn't right ("Why would he be so friendly in the middle of his work??")

She came to the coach and could see that I was having a problem.  She gave me ice water (that I left outside) and poured some on a rag to put that behind my neck.  Yeah, that's a shock to the system.  Looking at her face, I could see she was not 100% either.  She helped me get my legs inside, closed the door, and we both lapped up the air conditioning.  And some water.

I was getting feeling back in my hands and feet and didn't quite feel like I was going to puke.  She asked, "Do you feel up to getting to the house?"

"Yes."

"Do you want a hand."

"Oh, hell yes."

We were both soaked to the skin when we got inside the house.

It has been warm the last few days of our travels, but we have mostly stayed inside.  Yeah, I think we're going to need some time to acclimate before taking on more physical chores.

A not too hot soak in the jacuzzi tub and an early supper at Johnny Rocket's on the island with a frosty malt helped.  Still, I feel wrung out.

We took a drive by the beach...


Not many people out and about right now.  In the past, it has been that way October and November, except for weekends.


2 comments:

Kent said...

Hi Kids-- I saw a Episode on Modern Marvels "FAST FOOD: The Fast Lane of Life".. It says that the "Pig Stand" Was the First drive thru fast food started in Texas in 1921-- I know you two like your Fast Food.. Ever eat'n there??

Here's the Link:
youtube.com/watch?v=BPf22nRVy2I

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Can't say that I heard of that one... San Antonio is 6 hours from us, Dallas is 12. Looking it up, it closed in 2007, so I guess we missed it by 10 years or so. Not just fast food - I like food. I always appreciate a good burger!