Sunday, October 1, 2017

A string and a miss...


When we were at the Sweetwater Gear Fest this summer, I stocked up on guitar strings (they had a hot deal) and picked up a power-winder.  My Emerald X20 was due for fresh strings before we left on our trip - since it was staying behind, no point in stringing it up then.  It needed it now.



Such a pretty veneer on that lovely carbon fiber instrument.  I took all the strings off, did a thorough cleaning of the fretboard, and put on a new set of strings.  Something different with this restringing: I have been using Elixir strings almost exclusively; I am very happy with those.  But, I had recently read where some folks have been using Martin Lifespan strings on their carbon fiber guitars... thought I'd give them a try.

After first blush, I'm not a fan of those strings - they seem to lack the punch of the Elixirs.  But, I'll leave them on for a couple weeks to see if they "play in" and get better sounding.  Checked the action - good to go...


Another new thing.  Well, a new twist on an old thing... I haven't played my Taylor GSmini since I bought that first Emerald.  Another thing I wanted to try: Nashville tuning.  This uses the octave strings from a 12-string set in place of the regular strings.  It sounds like a cross between a mandolin and a ukulele, with a bit of harpsichord tossed in.  It wouldn't be something I want a steady diet of, but I strung up the Mini this way.  Fun to play, and if I ever get around to doing some recording, it will be a nice 2nd guitar in the mix.

The power-winder...


This thing is great!  It's like an electric screwdriver, but has a bit made to fit tuning keys on a guitar.  It not only saves time, it saves finger-tips.  When stringing the high-e string, it always seems to want to slip off the tuning post while I'm trying to wind the string on... and sticks me in the finger-tip like a needle.  This little gadget makes it easy to hold the string in place while the winding quickly happens - no blood-letting.  I shoulda bought one of these years ago.

One thing missing from the stringing session today: little Izzy usually likes to hop up there, see what I'm doing, and play with the strings.  This was during her nap time today; I did look in on her - she was asleep on the bed until I came into the room...


"You woke me."

"Sorry, I was just checking on you - you usually come running when I get a guitar out."

"I could hear you - I figured you could handle it without my help.  Turn the light out on your way out... today is a day of rest.  See you around supper time."


No comments: