Monday, November 6, 2017

Been a while...


... since the boat has been away from the dock.  Why?  Putting smart stuff in the house and Mother Nature deciding to have the wind blow at 20+ miles per hour for days.

It was SSE@20 gusting to 28, but I was in dire need to running a boat around, plus the boat needed to get moved to stay ahead of the slime that quickly accumulates on the bottom, even with bottom paint.

Joan decided to go out with me - I took the cover off the boat, she brought down some soda and a camera, and we pushed off from the dock.  Yep, it's windy... but protected in the canals...


Turning west out of the canals, we saw a few commercial boats, but no other pleasure boats...



My only plan was to run the boat up to speed to wear the slime off.  Once into the turning basin, I turned the boat into the SSE wind and gave it some throttle.  A decent ride, all things considered (like wind and current in our face).

Once down to the ship channel, I turned the boat around to head for home, and...


Late afternoon, so sparkly water.  In the middle of that sparkly water: a dorsal fin!  I pulled the power back and Joan shot a few photos of our dolphin friends...





An unexpected delight!

Coming back in our canal, Joan took this shot of an osprey flying over, carrying part of a fish...


We were out less than an hour, but it felt great!

Back home in time to get together with Mike and MJ - MJ was looking for some camera instruction for her new camera, Mike wanted to see some of our "smart stuff."  And, of course, some generally visiting.

-------------

Earlier in the day, I pulled out the Zoom recorder to check out a song I've been working on...


Sometimes it is helpful to get a feel for how a particular change sounds from a listening perspective.  Yes, that is the Emerald X20 I'm playing.  Love that guitar!


No comments: