Friday, February 23, 2018

Gathering...


I am excited for this afternoon - we are getting together with some other folks who are carbon fiber guitar enthusiasts; looks to be about 10 or 12 of us who will be bringing our CF guitars (all brands) for some "show and tell" and the opportunity to swap for a while.

Earl, who visited us two days ago, was instrumental in making this happen.  One of the participants (who has a pretty extensive CF collection) is letting us gather at his condo.  Should be quite a few models of carbon fiber guitars to check out; and, getting the opportunity to put faces with names that I see on the carbon fiber sub-forum.

It won't be happening until mid-afternoon, but I'm hoping to have some photos to show when we get back.

-----------

On edit: a very interesting gathering.  Traffic was backed up on I-10, so we had to take surface roads across much of Phoenix to get there... we arrived right at 3:00.  I knew this wasn't going to be a public gathering, more like some friends getting together... there were 7 of us: Kramster (the guy that hosted it) and 3 couples (us included in that).  It turns out that, besides the guitars that each of us brought, Kramster has dozens of carbon fiber guitars!

On the carbon fiber forum, I've seen Kramster reply, "Yeah, I think I have one of those around here somewhere..." when almost any particular CF guitar is discussed.  I thought he was just kidding around; he wasn't.

It was a lot of fun trying a bunch of guitars that you won't find in the typical guitar shop.  We played some songs together, and spent time trying different guitars individually.  A look around...




Kramster, who hosted the gathering...


Guitars on stands, guitars on the piano, guitars on the bed, guitars in cases...



This was interesting: getting to play an original Emerald X10 woody...


It is sized between my X7 and the X20.  No idea why I'm not smiling, because it was a treat to play that guitar.  That size isn't offered by Emerald these days, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it brought back in a more modern design sometime in the future.  A couple other guitars that I haven't had a chance to play previously: Blackbird Lucky 13 and Savoy, and a Journey OF660.  That is me playing the Savoy in the first photo in this post.  The Journey OF660 is the guitar on the right in the photo above with the guitars sitting on the white furry rug - the neck detaches from the body so you can put the whole thing in a small backpack that is a legal carry-on size.

A couple ukuleles got passed around.  They are fun to play (I have one at home), but not something I'd want as my only stringed instrument.  Also once again, Alice got out her flute to accompany on a couple songs.  It was a fun three hours.  It was interesting to hear your own guitar, played by others.  Mark (in the peach colored shirt) brought his X7 and his Shorty (I guess we have similar tastes), but strung with different strings from what I use - that makes for a different tone, as well.

Before heading out, a couple group shots...



Yes, Joan was there - she was taking these photos for me.

More bumper-to-bumper traffic on the way home, but we weren't on a schedule.  Life in the big city.

Rufus was happy to see us when we got home!


-------

On edit again: a few more photos courtesy of Kramster...

Alice playing my X7 and her flute...



Me playing Kramster's X20...


That is my X7 camera left, and the Blackbird Lucky 13 camera right.  Lots of variety.

Proof that Joan was there and taking it all in...



No comments: