Saturday, February 10, 2018

Help me make it through the night...


Rufus did pretty good with his first night in a new environment.  Joan put a blanket for him on our bed and he stayed on it through most of the night.

We kept "introducing" him to the little box during the evening, but as of bed time, he hadn't used it.  He gobbled down a lot of food, so we knew it was just a matter of time.  In the middle of the night, I heard someone "playing" in the litter.  That someone turned out to be Joan.  She followed Rufus into the bathroom and saw that he had a touch of diarrhea (TMI?)... not surprising, considering the stress of all the new experiences yesterday and the change of diet.  I think Rufus and Joan will both need a nap today.

This morning, he stayed on his blanket until I called him to come out and have something to eat.  I gave him less quantity, and turkey instead of the seafood he had last night.  He seems to be doing fine this morning... he is quite vocal and was very thankful for his breakfast.  I know that may change when he comes to understand that the food will always be there for him.  He sat beside me - well, half on his pad, half on my lap, then went to share the love with Joan.  Right now, he is sleeping, with his head on her lap.

It is hard to know how these furry ones will react when you just get to spend a few minutes with them in that shelter environment.  Unlike with Molly, who we "dated" for a year before she got to be ours.  This boy seems to have a lot of love to give and is grateful to have the interaction.

After we all sat for a bit this morning, it was time for the next new experience for Rufus: I got out my guitar.  Molly accepted the guitar playing as part of what we do.  Izzy loved it and would come to sit by me when she heard me playing.  Rufus was enjoying a bit more food and water when I started playing... he wasn't startled by it, turned to see what I was doing, then went back to the food and water.  What I took from that: "This is a pretty swanky place - you get entertainment with your dining experience."

While we are very cat-equipped, there are a couple things we need to get for him: a collar, a walking harness sized for him, and a tag.  After we all get ready to take on the day, we'll take a trip to Petsmart to pick up those things, and give Rufus a chance to experience a short drive.  He may not know it yet, but he is going to be a traveling cat.


No comments: