Saturday, February 10, 2018

Playing to the crowd...


Nothing to do with me and my guitar.

Joan left Rufus in charge of me so she could go to the grocery store with Steph.  We had a good "boys' afternoon"... I put his new walking harness on and we went outside... just to sit on the patio.  Taking baby steps here.  He was doing fine until a loud diesel pickup went by - no panic, but he wanted to go back in the coach.  Instead of just unclipping him, I let him sit in the doorway, with the door open...


This shot shows off his new walking harness.  He has a new teal collar to go with it.  No fussing at all when putting either of those on.  My goal for today was to make sure he was comfortable with wearing the harness - it was a bonus that he got some time on the leash.  No real "walking," yet, but I can tell he is going to handle this.

I let him be in the open doorway while I moved around our patio area.  He later moved up the steps and onto the floor, but always keeping an eye on me...


About that time, Steph and Dan pulled up.  "Say, aren't you and your Mother supposed to be out shopping?" I asked.

"We are done, she wanted to go to Total Wine, and I don't need any."  Of course, Steph wanted to pet and hug Rufus, so I handed her the leash and let them sit on the steps together, while Dan and I visited on the patio.  A few minutes later, friends John and Carolyn showed up on their golf cart.  They are close friends with Steph and Dan, saw their car here, and wanted to visit for a bit.  "Pull up a chair!"

A few minutes later, Joan pulled in - looks like we're having a party here!  With all 6 of us sitting out on the patio, I brought Rufus out to see how he would do with a crowd - no problem; he made the rounds so everyone could have the opportunity to pet him.

There was some discussion of his unknown background: this boy likes people and the attention they give him.  I absolutely can't imagine he is a stray.  He is comfortable with being outside, but gets a bit concerned when there are loud noises (like a truck or a motorcycle).  Nothing feral about him.  I can't imagine anyone would abandon this sweet boy, but I really hope there isn't a family heart-broken over losing him.

He is smart - when he was done making the rounds, he went right to the door of the coach.  He sat on the step, able to be a part of the conversation.  Steph was delighted that he sat by her and purred when she lavished attention on him.

When everybody left, the three of us went back inside - supper for Rufus, then a bunch of leg-rubbing for Joan as she made supper for us.  To be clear, it was Rufus doing the leg rubbing, not me.  Not that I won't try later, but that is probably TMI.

I think the little furry boy had a very good day.



No comments: