Thursday, May 10, 2018

Is that a "real" Vespa?


Joan sent me off on a solo scooter ride while she went to the store.  Yes, I know: you thought we did everything together.  Well, most things.  But, we are capable of being apart for short periods of time.

While I was getting my helmet on, a guy walking his dog on our street asked, "Is that a real Vespa?"

When I said, "It sure is," he heard, "Come here and let's talk about it."  ;-)  No issue; I'm not on a schedule.

"That is a beauty - is it brand new?"  Yeah, I've had that conversation a time or two since getting the Vespa.

After the conversation, I took off.  No plan, no destination - just a lovely day and I was wanting some time on the Vespa.  I rode across the causeway and onto SPI.  Just riding around, I stopped to pick up a few photos that I might use later for the Scooter Tag game...


That building across the water behind the Vespa is Sea Ranch Restaurant.  If you saw something in the news about the woman who killed her husband, then killed a woman in Florida who looked like her so she could steal her identity... well, that restaurant is where she was arrested.  And also one of the best restaurants on SPI.  ;-)

Looking the other direction, across the marina...



The city of South Padre Island has been redoing some streets, making a nice bike lane, brick crosswalks, and sidewalks on the main drag.  They have also been updating some of the beach access places in city limits.  Most of the Gulf frontage on SPI has been developed with homes and condos, making access limited.  The beach is public, the issue is getting to the beach.  These beach access points make sure that people have a place to park and access.  This is one of the few access points that hasn't been upgraded with a raised boardwalk to get across the dunes - so you actually have a narrow view of the Gulf...


I made a loop through the Convention Center - the Wyland Whaling Wall there was refurbished a while ago, and it always makes me smile...


Could be the Orcas.  :-)

Back home, I was there before Joan.  I helped her bring in groceries and she said, "I know we talked about going to a show this afternoon, but it is SO gorgeous outside - would you rather get out on the boat for a while?"

Tough decision.  Then, another choice: BBQ or Italian for lunch before we go out on the boat.  We haven't been to Porky's (our local BBQ place) since we've been home - time to remedy that.

The food was good and quick - more time on the water.  Just like my ride this morning, no destination, no plan.  We heard a couple commercial operators talking on the VHF about "a bunch of dolphins just outside of South Bay."

I asked, "Do you want to go that way?"

"With that on the radio, there will be a bunch of boats there - let's just meander on our own."  A plan.

Warm, a nice breeze, and low humidity: look at those few clouds...


Heading towards the ship channel, we saw this...


No, it is not a drag race between the pontoon and the shrimper - the pontoon folks were looking at dolphins bow surfing.  Yep, there are dolphins away from the others - our first sighting...




We took a few photos, then just enjoyed watching them (yes, a post without a gazillion dolphin photos - but a few, because: dolphins)...


Look close: ahead and to the left of that dolphin is another just under the surface.





Yeah, that one above is looking at us.  And, this group coming for a visit...



Land and sea - a really spectacular day out there today.  Coming back in: the dredge stuff is mostly gone...


While I was putting things away and cleaning the boat, Joan and Rufus sat out on the deck.  Well, Joan sat... Rufus went back and forth as I walked around, keeping me in sight...


After sitting outside with Rufus for a while, we went in for some air conditioning and to get his supper.  I took the PCX to check mail.  When I got back, Joan said, "He has been waiting for you by the door - he couldn't wait for his best friend to return."

That's my little furry boy!

:-)


No comments: