Thursday, May 17, 2018

It's all good...


The weather weasels are predicting a lot of wind the next 5 days.  Well, today wasn't supposed to be windy.  Yeah, they lied.  Maybe it wasn't a lie... maybe they were just wrong?

I took the boat out this morning.  Not for a solo fun outing, but to check and see if the engine sputtering problem was gone... seems to be.  The solution was pretty simple: the vent inside the fuel cap had disintegrated, probably from that crappy ethanol stuff in our fuel.  Unfortunately, you couldn't see inside to the venting to know that was the problem, until you took the cap apart.  And by "you," I mean: me.  I picked up another vented fuel cap at Bass Pro yesterday - I had looked over the fuel lines and fuel filter: all good.  With another vented fuel cap, I felt OK with taking the original apart.

The boat started and ran normally at the dock.  In spite of the building wind, I wanted to test it out under some load to make sure it was running OK.  So, out the canal and into the turning basin.  Oh, look: that dredging ship is in our port...


You get some perspective here: that blue crewboat on the right is 105' long.

I ran the boat up to put a load on it; brought the power back... all good.  More of the same, only longer... all good.  I ran it just above idle.  Throttle wide open.  All good.  I hope that cap takes care of the hesitation issue.

Heading back towards our canal...


Yes, it is protected on the north side of our island - notice the water is relatively calm.  It is white caps on the other side of the island.

While I was doing this, Joan was working on house projects; I have to say that I would rather be on a boat.  Even if I'm not sure it will stay running. 

Afterwards, Rufus joined me in the guitar room while I gave the X20 a good workout with the Bose-on-Bose set up.  Yeah, I really like this.

Out for lunch, heading to Porky's BBQ... the smell as we opened the door made me drool.  Before we could get to our table, the manager came out and said, "I have bad news, my friends - there is a problem with the water in the building: it isn't working.  So, I can't serve you."

Joan asked, "Can we get it to go?"  She knew I had my mouth ready for BBQ.

"I am so sorry.  It is a sanitary thing.  I hope they can get it working again very soon, if you want to stop back."

I wiped the drool off my chin and we made other plans... got to be flexible.


2 comments:

Hudson River Boater said...

What did you find when you took the original fuel cap apart?? Probably Deteriorated Rubber..

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Yep. I looked to see if there were any replaceable parts - nope.