Saturday, May 19, 2018

Middle of the freakin' night...


I really don't like it when the phone rings at 2:30 am.  It's never a fun call.

There is a recently installed automatic gate at the entrance to our village.  The guard shack is still there, and it is manned.  There is a lane for owners, where a tag on your windshield opens the gate.  Visitors have a separate lane with a box where people can punch in "your number" and you will receive an automated call and be able to open the gate for your visitor with your phone.  They still have to stop at the guard shack.

Or, you get some asshole who punches your number at 2:30 in the morning.  I called the guard shack and told the security guy what just happened... "Yeah, they're at the gate right now - do you want me to let them through?"

"NO!  It's the middle of the f-"

"Oh, they just left.  If they come back, do you want me to let them through?"

"Absolutely NOT!"

"Oh, wait - they're coming back.  Do you want me to let them through?"

"Are you not listening??  Do NOT let them in.  If you can't stop them from punching in numbers, call the Police or the Sheriff."

"OK - I'll go talk to them."

It was a restless night after that.

When I got up, I started my routine: turn on some news, open the shades, feed Rufus, get my morning wake-up snack and Joan's coffee ready to go.  Oh, goody: the Royal Wedding in on NBC.  And ABC.  Yep, CBS, too.  Holy shit - I think it's on the Weather Channel, as well.  A prince marrying an actress... we were invited, but they didn't include Rufus on the royal invitation, so I told Joan to send them a salad shooter and our regrets.  I'm guessing no one woke them up at 2:30 in the morning.

I'm gonna need a nap.

;-)


2 comments:

Hudson River Boater said...

I am with you about the Royal Wedding-- Who The F Cares.. I would rather watch a Rufus Cam..

Or this Cam:


http://www.herringtonharbour.com/south/south-marina-webcam/

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi HRB - nice live cams! We have a camera that takes in our dock - we can keep an eye on the boat.