Wednesday, May 16, 2018

More work...


No, we didn't take summer jobs.  You know how you get something new, and it is supposed to make life even easier?  And, when you get into it, there is even more work involved?  Yeah, kinda like that.

We made a trip to the semi-big city today.  Joan ordered some shoes to be delivered to the store... and was notified two hours later that her shoes were waiting for her (yesterday).  So, this morning, we went to Dillards in Harlingen.  Just like it is supposed to work, they had the shoes for her at Customer Service.  Pretty obvious that they had them in stock in the store, but way better than making that drive to see if they had them in stock.

Cute shoes...



Something I wanted in Harlingen, too: a visit to Bass Pro to pick up a vented fuel cap for the boat.  Coming in yesterday, the engine sputtered and sounded like it was not breathing right.  I pumped the fuel bulb to see if it was a fuel starvation problem, and the bulb didn't firm up.  I opened the fuel cap when we got back to the dock, got a "whooooshing" sound, and then the bulb firmed up.

I looked over the fuel lines and connections - everything seemed normal.  Running the boat at the dock, with the fuel cap off, it ran perfect.  My diagnosis: need a new vented fuel cap.  And, yes, Bass Pro has all that stuff.

Next: meat.  Sam's Club down here gets their steaks from IBP (Iowa Beef Packers) - good stuff.  On to lunch, then heading back home.

According to the tracking info: the package I have been waiting for is out for delivery.  In that package: a new compact PA from Bose.  It has been getting great reviews.  While I was out replacing the fuel cap and testing it, Joan came down to the boat and said, "Your Bose is here!"

No, I didn't drop everything and run inside; I finished what I was doing with the fuel tank and cap - hopefully, all is good - then I went inside.  I opened the box and pulled it out - yep, it is very compact, but feels solid.  Of course, now I need to go give it a try.

Since sending in the Fishman acoustic amp power head for repair a couple weeks ago, I haven't been playing plugged in much.  We think that powerhead is on its way back to me; Fishman hasn't been particularly communicative.

I plugged my X7 into the little Bose, and... it sounds great!  I plugged in a microphone - also great.  I tried the same stuff with my bigger Bose, and it is surprising how close this smaller unit comes to the bigger one in terms of sound and tone.

Next step: plug in the Play Acoustic (vocal harmonizer and guitar sound shaping pedal)... the guitar was cutting out.  After switching cords and trying a bunch of work arounds, I determined the problem is definitely with the Play Acoustic, not either of the Bose units.  That Play Acoustic takes 5 cables in and out to make it work - each cable needed to be tested to see if that was the culprit.  Nope, it is the unit itself.  Another item to send in for repair.

I tried a bunch of different configurations with the Bose S1 (the new one), plugged another vocal harmonizer into it, then ran a direct line out from the S1 to my L1C... oh my goodness, that sounds really good!

Joan was very patient while a played the same licks over and over to determine the best settings, then another half hour of "Mic check, one two."  Once dialed in, it won't take but a few minutes to set up and fine tune this rig.  I am a very happy boy...


That little "box" in the front is the new S1; the tall skinny "stick" behind it is the L1C.  Each of them sounds good by itself - together, they really sound great.  The little one has reverb and better EQ on each channel, the big one has more highs and bass; they really do compliment each other.

That ate up most of the afternoon: not even time for a boat or scooter run.  Plenty of time for giving Rufus attention, though.  He is still in the learning process for his grooming; and Joan is also learning how he prefers to be held when being brushed.  He spent some time with me in the guitar room, looking everything over.  He likes it when I sing and play.


2 comments:

Hudson River Boater said...

We have two Bose Wave Radio/CD Boxes-- For the size of them they sound nice..
One got Damaged-- So happened it was sitting in a Bay Window rite under the Leak that started..
For 150 Bucks I sent the old one back and Bose sent me a New one..

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Bose has good customer service. I have been very happy with the Bose products we've owned over the years.