Saturday, May 12, 2018

Super Pod!


Maybe better described as: breakfast and a show.

Last night, we discussed going out on the boat this morning.  It is supposed to be another windy day, so earlier would likely be better.  Joan made an apple cinnamon coffee cake and put some in a container for us to have on the boat.

So, this morning, after a bit of morning relaxation, we packed up the goodies Joan had ready and shoved off.  Not a sunrise cruise - it was around 8:30, so the sun was well up in the sky.  We turned east out of our canals and went through the swingbridge...


The Laguna Madre and SPI ahead...


This guy was on a plastic chair in the shallows, with an umbrella for shade, fishing...


Other people were out on fishing excursion boats...


The sky looked dark to the east, but not threatening...


The wind was already up enough that the ride was choppy.  Not bad, just not the calm with thought we might have this morning.  We cruised down into the jetties area, and there were swells coming in from the east.  We turned west.  A short ways down the ship channel, we saw...



Look close at the upper right in the photo above.  Joan was happily taking photos - I said, "We are going to have company"...



US Coast Guard small boat, as they got close, they turned on their flashing blue lights - we were the only boat around, so I put the boat in neutral.  When they got close, one of them said on the hailer, "Have you had a recent safety inspection?"

"Not on this boat."

"We'd like to come aboard."  That is nice talk for: we're coming aboard.  I pointed to the gate on our port side and said, "That will be the best place to come aboard."


Two young officers came aboard.  We were ready for them: Joan had our paperwork out, I gave them my license.  They were nice, and could see we were harmless.  They still asked, "Do you have any weapons aboard?"

"No, sir."

They chatted with us while they were checking life jackets, a throwable, flares and other safety equipment.  One was very obviously training the other.  The trainer said, "You are very organized.  Have you had any boating education?"


"Well, I do have a 100 ton Master License..." and went on to tell him what other courses I've taken.  The one guy filled out the safety inspection paperwork, the other looked it over, they handed it to me and said, "Show this if you get boarded again in the next six months."  (It's a bright yellow sheet of paper - we know it as "good as gold.")  "Everything on your boat looks great."

They asked if we fish - "Nope, we're out enjoying the morning and watching the dolphins."   They thanked us, apologized for the intrusion ("No intrusion at all - we appreciate what you do."), shook my hand, and went back to their boat.

 And, now to find the dolphins again.  We had a nice group of 5 or 6 before the Coast Guard arrived.  Looking to the west...




Look at that face in the lower left above.


"Super Pod" is what it is called in the Pacific Northwest when J, K, and L Pods of the Southern Resident Killer Whales get together - it is an impressive sight.  Probably not an accurate description here, but this was the biggest group of dolphins we have seen in one place in all our years here!

It was "dolphin soup," and we were the cracker floating in the middle of it!  You couldn't turn your head fast enough to see them all pop up.  We are familiar with various dolphin behaviors: resting, eating, on the hunt, on the move, and bellies full and playful.  This was playful.  Between the two of us, we took about 300 photos - the following is a small sample...






There were literally swimming all around the boat.  I would guess maybe 50, in groups of 3 to a dozen.  What a treat!









Sparkly water (depends on whether you are looking into the sun or with it over your shoulder)...




Time to head for home - waving bye-bye to our dolphin friends...


Momma and baby above.




Coming into the turning basin, we saw this bigger Coast Guard boat...


Back at our dock, it took a while to get the boat cleaned up - a bit of spray out there in the wind today.  Just as I was carrying my stuff onto the dock, a guy came down our walk - Scott, the guy who asked if my scoot was "a real Vespa" the other day.

I said, "Hi," he said, "Hi - can I ask a favor?"

"You can ask."  He just got a sailboat, an older Catalina 27.  Yesterday was his second lesson onboard (his first boat), and he "had a problem... there was something wrong with the prop.  It was just spinning."

I said, "Yeah, there are a lot of shallows around here."  I was hoping he wasn't going to ask me to help him replace a prop.

He didn't.  His boat is across the ICW, where someone towed it yesterday.  The marina there had to order a prop for him, but he wants to get the boat back to his own dock.  "So, you need a tow?" I asked.

"If it wouldn't be too much trouble."

"Well, your boat weighs about 6 times what my pontoon weighs, the wind is blowing pretty good, and I'm guessing you haven't had a lot of experience bringing your boat to the dock, right?"

"Yeah.  I'm just concerned about leaving it on their outside dock."  I understand that.

I agreed to give him a tow with the understanding that: it is NOT a commercial tow and I take NO responsibility for any damage you do.  He agreed.  I asked Joan if she'd give me a hand, and we took him around to his boat in ours.  I got off and walked back to his boat - I told him what lines he'd need to undo and what order, and that we would come alongside him and have him hand me the line that I had him attach to his bow cleat.  "Once we pull away from the dock, you will need to be steering your boat to stay directly behind me.  I will get you as close as possible to your dock (it is on the way back to our dock), but you will be steering yourself up to your dock - at that point, it is all you; there isn't anything I'll be able to do to help you get the boat tied off.  Do you have someone you can call to meet you at your dock to grab lines?"

We pulled up to his bow, took the line, and cleated it off - and, we're off...


It wasn't the prettiest arrival we've made to a dock, but we got him close enough for his significant other to grab one of his dock lines - from the looks of it, she has never handled a dock line before, and she tried to pull the boat.  With about 20 mph of headwind wanting to push it back!  I hollered to her, "Take a couple wraps on that cleat on the dock - don't try to hold the boat yourself!  Let Scott get off and help you!"  We let go of their tow line, making sure it wasn't anywhere near our prop.

The rest is up to them; I did my neighborly good deed.

When we got home for the second time, I put the boat away and drove around to Scott's house to make sure they were both OK.  They were; and very grateful.  "Let me pay you something."

"Not necessary - just a neighbor helping a neighbor.  BUT, you need to call BoatUS and sign up for their towing service.  They will have heavier equipment made for towing, and be able to put you right on your dock."

The dolphin visit was pretty amazing.  The water was beautiful.  Breakfast onboard was nice.  Even the Coast Guard boarding was pleasant.  An interesting day on the water.

:-)


1 comment:

Sathya said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.