Monday, May 7, 2018

Well, that was the best...


I invited my Honey out for breakfast this morning.  Another glorious morning: sunny, almost no breeze, low humidity, temp in the mid-70s.  We took the scoots... wish I had mounted my GoPro on my helmet: it was absolutely beautiful as we cruised across the causeway.

When we got to Pier 19, parked the scoots, and took our helmets off, Joan said, "That was the best ride I've ever had across the causeway - no wind, no traffic, and the weather is perfect!"

Yep.

Pier 19 is a restaurant on a pier.  Duh.  The food is good, and every table/booth has a view of the water...


Breakfast was outstanding.  We have mugs from there - when you bring them in, your beverages (non-alcohol) are free.  Their Monday special is an omelette that has meats and cheese... and gravy.  SO tasty!  And only $5; what a deal.  Joan had a regular ham and cheese omelette; breakfast for $12.

With bellies full, we decided to ride around the island: up Gulf Boulevard (yes, along the Gulf), then back down on the street on the bay side.  South Padre Island is a long, skinny barrier island - only 3 north/south streets (and lots of east/west - Gulf to the bay - streets).  We stopped at one street along the bay for a photo op...



Further south, we pulled in to heck out the changes around Jim's Pier: a couple buildings have been removed, there is a boardwalk by the bay, and an open park area.


Check out that smooth water behind the Blonde.  Again, proof that I was along...



More riding around, then back across the causeway, and home on our island.

After some errand running, we decided to take the boat out for an early afternoon outing.  Yes, Rufus wanted to come along...


Rufus moved between us.  "Can I drive?"


"No, Rufus, not in the canal; maybe when we get into more open water."

"Fine.  I'll be under the helm.  Let me know when I can drive."


Just so you know, I am not the crazy one...


Into the PI Channel...


And...




"Rufus, come look!"






"That thing is close..."



Not just dolphins that got his attention...


This time of the year the weather is great and the crowds are minimal.  We only saw a couple other boats our whole time out.  This one stands out...


With the pipeline operation gone, we decided to head towards the docks that were refurbished to see if there was any trace of them still...


Nope.  More dolphins in the ICW...



That is our island in the background in the photo above.  This passed by us as we headed towards our canal...



Almost home...


Rufus was a good boy as we came to our dock - no flying leaps from the boat; he waited for us to get tied off before walking up to the house.

Checking her phone when we were back, Joan had a message that a package had been delivered to our mailbox... she suggested I take my PCX down to get it.  Good idea - I haven't ridden it since I picked up the Vespa.  Before coming back home, I rode off our island and put a few miles on the Honda.  It really is a great little scoot.

 

No comments: