Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Cheeky...


If you said, "Cheeky Monkey, Mike Meyers bit from Saturday Night Live," you get 50 bonus points.

The new scooter seat covers arrived today from Cheeky Seats.  They are nice, and they look great!




Joan' PCX has a hump/backstop that had to go - before putting the seat cover on, I did a "humpectomy"...



With that out of the way and the area between the mounts filled, the seat cover went on in less than a minute.

An hour later, we were still fussing with the cover for the Vespa.  It installs just as easy as the one on the PCX, but the drawstring and fastener that keeps the cover in place interferes with the seat latch.  I couldn't get the seat closed with the cover on.  With some "persuasion," the seat closed, then wouldn't open.  That is going to be a real inconvenience, since I have to open the seat to fill the gas tank!  More fussing and "persuasion," and with two of us grunting and pulling, we were able to get the seat open.

I don't know if my GTS is different from all that I've seen photos of on Cheeky Seat's site, but the design of this just isn't going to work with this bike.  I called Suzy, the lady who owns Cheeky Seats, and she gave me some things to try.  None of them worked.  She promised she "wouldn't leave you hanging out there in the wilds of western South Dakota."

I decided to take a break from the frustration and go for a ride.  I removed the seat cover, geared up, and headed out.  Nothing like a couple hours of riding through the twisties to perk up the attitude.  ;-)

Back roads to Keystone - lots of bikes there...



The highway past Mt Rushmore (lots of bikes there) with the fun sweeping turns.  The bikes outnumbered the cars about 10 to 1.  I rode through Hill City...


Then took the "Old Hill City Road" to Keystone, and then back home.

Warm and sunny, with a 100% chance of bike traffic.  Except for the road past Mt Rushmore, my choice of back roads was blissfully uncrowded.

:-)

-----------------------

After thinking about it for a while, I cut the drawstring/shock-cord that goes around the bottom of the seat cover, and removed the slider that tightens it.  With that slider out of the way, I was able to put the cover on the scoot without it jamming the seat latch.  Of course, it doesn't fit as good without being able to tighten that drawstring.  Tomorrow, after the cover has been on the seat overnight, I will tighten that drawstring to see if I can get the fit as it should be.  It is advertised as "pull the string and tie it off" and you're done.  Definitely not the case on this bike with an OEM Vespa seat.

But, if we get a staple gun, Joan is sure we can make it fit like it should.  That will be nice.  :-)


No comments: