Friday, July 20, 2018

Solo...


Not talking about the red plastic beer cups, nor the Napolean guy on Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Joan wanted to do some cleaning around the coach today, and that is best done without a messy guy around.  "You OK if I head out on the scoot while you're cleaning?" I asked.

"Please do.  Have fun and be careful."

Another lovely day in the Hills.  I put the new camera on the bike, without the remote - full "old school" with reaching up to press the shutter button.  I tested a shot on the way out of the resort...


Yep, it works.  Heading towards Rapid City on Highway 16, you come to a steep hill...


Doesn't look too steep when shot with a wide angle lens, huh?  I turned onto the bypass and worked my way to Sheridan Lake Road once again.  Riding solo, it is mostly just photos of fun curves...




North on Highway 385 after riding Sheridan Lake Road as far as it goes.  The riding is different when you're riding solo.  Don't get me wrong, I love riding with my Honey... but, it is a different experience when you can go as fast (or slow) as you want and not be constantly checking the rear view mirror.  Joan prefers to follow, so I make it a point to not make any moves that would interfere with her riding.  Without naming names, there may have been some exceeding of the speed limit.

The traffic was once again light today.  Approaching Pactola Reservoir, this sign reminds you that there may be other things on the road you need to watch for besides traffic...


I pulled into the parking lot at the Visitors Center at Pactola to let a medium duty truck that was following a bit closer than I like go around.  A blue Corvette pulled out of the lot just ahead of me.  Knowing how peppy scooters are, I thought I'd stay right with him, just for the fun of it...


That didn't happen.  If you look close, it is that dot on the road ahead of me.  There is no substitute for cubic inches.  ;-)

At the junction of Hwy 385 and 44, I turned east.  A Harley pulled out ahead of me.  If you saw my earlier post today, I mentioned that you can tell a newbie RVer.  Same with a motorcycle rider: brand new bike, shiny matching helmets, and new black t-shirts.  Well, that and the "wobble" as he made the turn onto the highway.  I quickly caught up with him, then backed off...


He pulled off on the side of the road to let traffic (me at the head of it) go around.

Coming back into Rapid City, I stopped to gas up.  The price at this station was a lot better than previous stops at Keystone or Hill City.  I had gone 149 miles on this tank, a good portion of that at highway speeds (50 to 55 mph).  It took 1.65 gallons...


A new world record for the Vespa!  I keep expecting it to drop with the riding we're doing... it seems to be very happy with it.

On the scooter forums where I participate, there is a "Scooter Girls" thread.  It is mostly pretty young things, as often as not draped on a Vespa (vintage and new).  It is very apparent that most of these girls are not riders, based on their attire.  Still, they are pretty to look at.  I have expressed my disappointment on that forum that when I've parked the Vespa, I have never come back to it to find some pretty young thing draped on it.  Still, I believe that "chicks dig the Vespa."

On the way back to Hart Ranch, I was stopped at a stop light, about 4 vehicles back.  An SUV pulled up alongside me and the pretty lady with short gray hair rolled down her window... "Are you really from Texas?" she asked.

"Yes, ma'am!" I replied.

"You don't have to call me 'ma'am' - it looks like we're about the same age," she said.  Then added, "That sure looks like fun."

I said, "It really is."

She asked, "Do you ever take a passenger with you?"

I chuckled and said, "My wife has her own scooter, and she doesn't let me date.  So, no."

She smiled and said, "OK - you have fun!" and rolled her window up as the light turned green.

I guess chicks do dig the Vespa.  ;-)

(Or, a guy on a Vespa looks pretty harmless.)


2 comments:

Hudson River Boater said...

Always a nice Posting-- Thanks for Sharing even though I have never met you you & The Blonde..
Maybe one day we will..

Came across this tonight-- Probably not in your "Path" of Travel and most likely not up your "Alley" of something to do.. One never knows though..

169 Henry Martin Trail
Love Valley, NC 28625

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi HRB. North Carolina is a beautiful state, but SD is as far as we're going this summer. We'll wander some on our way back south, but it won't be east (this time).