Monday, August 6, 2018

I got Joan a job during the Rally...



We took the car into Rapid City for breakfast and a stop at Sam's Club.  Joan had gone on ahead to get something when my phone rang - it was my buddy Juan from Corbin Seats: "The seat you ordered is here, so whenever you want to pick it up..."

When Joan and I met up again, I told her.  She said, "It's early - why don't we drive up to Sturgis now and get it, then you can install it yourself when we get home?"  She knew I'd be anxious to get it on.

Juan originally thought the seat would be in Monday through Wednesday, nothing definite.  I certainly wasn't expecting Monday morning.  Pretty impressive service.

There was a lot of traffic between Rapid City and Sturgis - as many trucks pulling cargo trailers as there were bikes.  A delightfully cool sunny morning.  My original plan was: the seat will probably be in on Wednesday, I'll ride my scoot up on Wednesday or Thursday, they will install it right there, and I will happily go riding through the Hills.  This is even better, because... it is earlier than expected!

Rolling into Sturgis, we took the further Interstate exit, because it is closer to Corbin's display and we don't have to drive through the thick of town.


Plenty of traffic, still, though.  Before we got to Corbin's corner we saw this:




Yes, the Bikini Bike Wash, also known as: Dirty Girls Clean Bikes.  Hey, don't blame me, that's what it said on another sign.

We turned on the corner where Corbin is located; driving down a block or so, we found about "half a space" to park.  Joan stayed with the car in case it needed to be moved, I walked up to Corbin's display and found my buddy Juan.  He stepped into their trailer and brought out the seat, wrapped in plastic... "Just the way you wanted it: Bomber-Jacket Brown on the seats, black texture on the sides, double-diamond stitching.  Look good to you?"

What I could see through the plastic looks great.  He showed me that it comes with the mounting bracket for the installation.


There will be more photos when I install it.  I hustled back to the car and we headed out.  The traffic was thicker on that same road heading out of town...


We got through the stop light on the second go-round and headed onto the Interstate.  You have to watch the traffic close: so many bikes.  As we drove by, Joan got this shot of the hill climb area...


Back when the Jackpine Gypsies Motorcycle Club was still involved, the original premise of this gathering was the oval flat-track and this hill climb; it used to be called Sturgis Rally & Races.  Looks like they are gearing up for a hill climb event.

The traffic was much heavier on the way back to Rapid City.  We had a couple more stops to make before going back to the motorhome... and, the weather weasels are predicting thundershowers for the afternoon... the sky was looking ominous to the west.

On our way back to Hart Ranch, after our last stop, the rain started coming down.  Not severe, but steady.  Joan picked up mail at the mail room while I bought a bag of ice at the Hart Mart - we both got a bit wet in that short time.

So, back "home," we have groceries in the coach; Rufus was happy to see us - probably because we were a bit late for his lunch feeding.  ;-)  The rain is supposed to pass by late afternoon, so maybe I'll be able to get the seat installed yet today. 

---------

Yes, I am kidding about getting Joan that job - cleaning the bikes is "an outside job," which usually falls on me.  I will look around to see if there is a Thunder From Down Under man-thong bike wash and put on an Australian accent.  Probably won't be as much demand, though.  You're picturing it, aren't you?  Seriously, get that out of your head!

 ---------

New Seat from the top and side...





Still waiting for the rain to quit so I can go out and get it installed.

-----------------

Final edit:

Man makes plans, Mother Nature laughs.

The rain quit.  I took a camera and some tools out to the cargo trailer, planning to install the seat with the bike in the trailer, since everything is wet from the solid rain.  I got the door open, put the camera and the tools in there... and it started to rain again.  (Sigh)

I closed up the trailer ramp door and went back in the coach.  Barely got my shoes off and the rain quit again.  I went back out to the cargo trailer and opened the ramp door.  I took the stock seat off... and it started to rain again.

This time I wasn't going to quit.  I covered the new seat with the plastic it came in and took it to the trailer.  It was awkward to hold and get the bolts lined up, but I got 'er done.  I checked the alignment of the seat latch (good); the bracket from Corbin seems plenty sturdy.  As I read in the info on line, it takes a firm push to make the seat latch... I have it a firm push... and it latched.  Pushed the electric release and... it unlatched.  Just like it is supposed to.  I did it a few more times.  The weather-stripping on the seat will have to mush down a little for it to close without a firm push.  It looks great - it latches and unlatches like it is supposed to... I am a happy boy.

The stock seat...



The new Corbin seat...



I like the way the brown leather and black sides look with the glossy black Vespa.  Yes, that is a ray of sunshine on the seat in the last photo... Mother Nature laughing again.

I closed up the cargo trailer and proclaimed this project done - I'll give the new seat some butt-time tomorrow.

When I came back into the coach...


That is the other thing that came in today: a cat bag.  It is used to trim the cat's nails.  Rufus is a sweet boy, but he doesn't much like to have his nails trimmed.  He doesn't bite or scratch, he just muscles his way out of being held.  Joan recommended a bag for Steph to trim Tasha's nails, and it seems to work.  Joan put Rufus in the bag... and he sat calmly.  She unzipped the spot for pulling one front leg out, and Rufus took notice.  No fuss, but you could tell he was not happy.  When Joan got to the first rear leg... Rufus started turning green... Cat Hulk!  It looked as though he might just bust the bag at the seams..."Arrrgggh!  Cat Hulk mad!"

Joan got that paw done.  Time to... let the cat out of the bag!  Don't tell me you didn't see that one coming.  Once out, Rufus was just as sweet as always - he hold no grudges.  Well, I'll let you know if he poops on my pillow tonight.

;-)


2 comments:

Jim Thornton said...

Note to self:"Never invite Capt. Jim to a picnic"! Not with that black rain cloud that follows him around!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

LOL - truth be told, we have not been in the worst of what the Hills have been getting. Way more rain than usual; they already have their normal precip for the year. On the bright side: sure is green here, AND the next 5 days are supposed to be rain-free. If you invite me to the picnic, we'll plan for reserving the picnic shelter! ;-)