Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Battle of the Bulge...


Not talking about the World War II battle, nor my physique.  Nope, today, the battle was with a bulge on the rear tire of the Vespa.  And then... several bulges.

The plan: meet Dan and Candice at the lodge where they are staying, take Iron Mountain Road to Custer State Park; through the Wildlife Loop at the park; then, on to the town of Custer where we would introduce them to our favorite Black Hills burger place.

Heading out...


Picking up Dan and Candice, and rolling on...


On to (my favorite) Iron Mountain Road...




The fall colors are starting to show; a beautiful day; some great riding.


The guy in this pickup was driving 15mph below the posted speed limit...


We pulled off, got something to drink, visited a bit, then took off again... and caught up to him.  By the time we got to Custer State Park, we managed to ditch him.  On to the Wildlife Loop...


Looking into the distance, you can see a Buffalo jam ahead...






Moving on, we stopped to visit with the begging burros...




Getting ready to head out, Dan said, "Put your bike up on the center stand - I think you have a bulge in your tire."

Yep.  Not good.  Much discussion ensued.  There was talk about going back to get a trailer (they have one and so do we); one of us (me) said, "I am going to Custer to get one of those fine burgers and some cheese curds - I'll ride slow.  Really."

Riding slow is painful.  It was getting warm (approaching 90º), but I kept my coat on, since it has armor... just in case there is a blow-out on that back tire and... well, I don't want to think about it.

Heading towards Custer...



That last shot is in Custer, getting parked to head to the burger place.  Made it!

After a fine lunch, more discussion.  I really did not want to go get a trailer and come back for the bike - I promised I'd ride slow and easy.  All three followed behind me to watch for any tread flying.  At Highway 40 (about 20 miles from Hart Ranch), we talked Dan and Candice into heading off to enjoy the rest of the afternoon with more spirited riding.

The good news: the Vespa made it back... this will be a wrap for our scooting adventures here.  I have made an appointment for new tires at a Vespa dealer in Austin (on our way home).  They will get us in and out the same day!  May even be a bit of riding in Hill Country before we head for home.

No photos on the way home - I had a firm grip on the handlebars, in case the tire let loose.  I also didn't want the camera strapped around my neck... just in case I got off hard.  It all worked out.

And, here's a video of today's riding...



1 comment: