Thursday, October 4, 2018

Ding Dong...


Who remembers that Avon commercial from the 60s?

Last night, Joan said, "I think I want to powerwash the house tomorrow."  That's what you do around here to keep the siding looking decent.  Rain, wind, and blowing sand can make it look shabby.  It is something that needs to be done a couple times a year.

It has been warmer than typical since we've been home.  It's always warmer than typical when we come back in the fall.  And, high humidity.  Joan wanted to get an early start to beat the highest heat of the day.

I asked what I could to do help with that project.  It is pretty much a one-person job and can generally be accomplished in a couple hours.  My preference is to do the north/west sides of the house in the morning, and the south/east sides once the sun gets to the other side.  Seriously, the sun will bake your brain in short order.  Joan said she didn't want any help with the powerwashing, but asked if I would program the new wireless doorbell.

We have replaced the doorbell button on the outside of the house about every 3 years.  After 15 years in this house, the wiring to that button is about gone, so she ordered a wireless model.  It has 58 different music/chimes, most of which are incredibly cheesy... and not in an "oh, this pizza is really cheesy" good kinda way.  The instructions were written by someone who is not an English speaker.  There is no chart or easy way to pick a chime - you just have to start at the beginning and go through them one-by-one.  "I hear polka music - there must be someone at the door!"

The only instructions I was given: pick out something that sounds like a doorbell - no cheesy music.  I think I got to the 57th sound before finding one that sounded like a doorbell.  The rest is easy: program the outside button to work with the inside sounder.  Honestly, a lot easier than powerwashing the exterior when the outside temp was 82º before the sun came up.  To be fair, the temperature doesn't change that much from day to night when the humidity is around 350%.

I was also given one other task: "Go get us a breakfast tortilla from Manuel's in about an hour."  When that hour was up, I checked... not yet.  When I was given the go-ahead, I called Manuel's and got an order to go.  Then, got the scoot out to go pick it up.  I probably haven't mentioned this, but it is hot and humid.  Enough so that we didn't take the boat out yesterday; haven't had the scoots out since we unstrapped them in the trailer.  It felt great to be on the scoot again, regardless of the heat.

About 100 yards before getting to our bridge (to get off the island), the gate came down... the bridge needs to open to let a small commercial barge through.  Maybe a ten minute process.  I put the kickstand down on the scoot and walked over to the side of the road to find some shade to wait in...



When the bridge opened, I scooted off to Manuel's - the breakfast tortilla was waiting.  Then back home.  It was a short ride, but it felt great.  First time in months that I haven't been "geared up" on the scoot.  Yes, I know... did I mention: it's hot.  I have missed being out on the scoot.

Breakfast was tasty, Joan got to be inside in air conditioned comfort to cool down.  She asked me to look around to see if she had "missed any spots."  It looks great... I am no dummy.  There were a couple other inside chores for me while she finished outside.  My turn will come on another project; and there's always another project.

We are settling in.


1 comment:

Hudson River Boater said...

The "Honey Do List" Will Never End..