Tuesday, October 9, 2018

NGD - a couple sayings...


One saying: Good things come to those who wait.  Another: Heaven helps those who help themselves.

NGD = New Guitar Day!  Yeah, pretty anti-climatic, after ordering it nearly 4 months ago.  It was 8 days from Ireland to south Texas.  Yeah, it would have been less if the timing had been different... six days, easy.  Still, getting it from Ireland to the Tropical Tip in 8 days isn't bad.

Now, about that "helping themselves" comment above: around 2:00, I decided to take a little drive to our mailbox... you know, just in case.  There was no Post Office van outside the Activity Center.  There is a little sign by the door - red on one side (mail hasn't arrived), green on the other (mail has been put in the boxes)... the red was showing.

Well, as long as I'm here, I'll check our mailbox.  Inside was a young lady in a Postal uniform putting mail in to boxes.  I went to our box, opened it up, and inside was a crumpled up pink slip - yes, the slip that tells you you have something to pick up at the Post Office.  The young lady saw me carrying the pink slip and said, "I have that box in my car - is that something you want today?"

"Oh, my goodness, YES!"

Had she not seen me and offered, I would not have been able to pick up the guitar until tomorrow at the Post Office.

She went to her car, opened the back door, slid the box out of the back seat, with one end of the box thumping onto the pavement.  Sure hope it is packed well.  (sigh)

I hurried home with the box...



One small hole punched in the front, a ragged corner.  I couldn't wait to dig into the box...


It is in a gig bag instead of the Hiscox hard shell case.  Good, because that is what I ordered.  I opened up the gig bag, and...


No marks, no gouges.  Whew!  A quick glance shows that it has the glossy top and headstock, and the Crystal Ice finish I ordered on the back and sides.  Some extra shading at the edges.  A shorter than stock neck scale (24'6"), 13-frets to the body.  Level Two pickup option, giving it 6 individual acoustic pickups at the saddle, and a humbucking pickup just before the neck - all just the way I ordered it.  It also has a 1 11/16" nut width, where most of my guitars have a 1 3/4"... 1/16th of an inch may not sound like much, but it makes a difference.  This is also part of what makes this guitar neck "feel fast."

Now, to try it out...


It is the "Goldilocks" size, between my X7 and X20.  I had heard that it has a brighter acoustic sound than either of those, and that is what my ears confirmed.  Super comfortable - the body has curves and bevels in all the right places (yes, I'm still talking about the guitar).  I took a moment to compare it to each of the other Emeralds in size and tone - the X10 (left) and the X20...


You can see the difference in scale the way they hang in the wall holders.  The X20 is still the "tone King," but the X10 sounds great.  And, a comparison with the X7 (X10 is still on the left)...


The access to the higher frets on the neck of the X10 is incredible - the "hybrid" feel of this guitar compared to an electric is obvious.

After playing it unplugged, it was time to plug it in...


It's going to take some practice with the controls to understand exactly what runs what, but this thing is made to be plugged in!  It is "hotter" than my other acoustic pickups, but plenty of control right there on the side; it can be run with the acoustic pickups, the electric (humbucking) pickup, and a blend of the two.

Joan and Rufus came in to listen.  Rufus is in charge of my security...


Yes, it was worth the wait.  It will be fun discovering what all it can do over the next couple days.

The guitar is all carbon fiber.  Emerald offers these in various colors, as well as wood veneer tops (impregnated with resin into the carbon fiber).  The red is gorgeous, but subtle... until you put a bright light on it.  Here are some of the images that Emerald includes with each guitar...



You can still clearly see the carbon fiber weave through the Crystal Ice finish that is on the back and sides.  The Crystal Ice is (in my mind) a bit more rugged finish.  The guitar is the same impeccable workmanship as my other Emeralds, but I intended this one to be a "work horse" - able to do duty as an acoustic or electric.  The custom neck scale I ordered is a perfect fit for me.  I'm not a big fan of the D'Addario strings it ships with, so I will change it over to my preferred Elixirs after I get some more time on it.  It has individual saddles on the bridge, so it will be easy to adjust it for the stings and my playing style, but it is set up nice and low - just the way I like it.

A look down the side...


That arm bevel (between the top and side) is a perfect fit.  And, a "glamour shot" that shows the beautiful, ergonomic lines...


It has been a long time since, as a kid, I played guitar "until my fingers bled."  I played more today than I have played in quite a while.  My fingertips are a bit sore, but I'm good with that.  ;-)


5 comments:

MazamaMike said...

Hey Jim. I am considering ordering an X20 with some extra customizations. One is the "crystal ice" finish. The high gloss finish has never been my favorite on guitars in general. I'm wondering if you are still happy with yours and it's back/sides finish. If so, what would you think of doing the neck that way as well? Would you ever consider doing the front in that finish, or would that be too far (in your opinion, of course). Thanks.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Mike - yes, I am happy with the crystal ice finish on the back and sides of two of my Emeralds. I don't see that as an option on Emerald's 3D Builder, so you'd have to contact them to see if they still offer it. There was no up-charge when I ordered it my X10, but that was over 4 years ago. I still like the look of a glossy top. I recall someone asking Alistair several years ago if they would do the crystal ice finish over the whole guitar and he said, "No." I get that - it does mute the carbon look (but still shows through). And I would not recommend it on the back of the neck - their gloss finish on that is comfortable and not "sticky." Good luck with the decisions!

MazamaMike said...

Thank you! That is very helpful.

MazamaMike said...

Just a quick follow up. It turns out the special order for crystal ice is available if you contact them but it is now a $350 upcharge, so I decided I could live without it. I ended up ordering an X7 with the new Hyvibe electronics and a walnut veneer. Now the waiting begins. Thanks for your help.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Mike. Thanks for the follow-up; sounds like you are going to have a great guitar that will be worth the wait. The Hyvibe electronics is a nice upgrade. Congrats on getting your X7 ordered!