Thursday, January 10, 2019

And that's why you make an appointment...


There was a mention of service issues a couple days ago.  I have a vocal harmonizer that has started acting up... not on the vocal part but on the guitar part (it uses the guitar to determine the key for the harmony, and there are also guitar effects and EQ on that pedal).  I have been dealing with the manufacturer since it is within the 3 year warranty.  It took over a week to get a first reply back from them.  Then, they came up with other hoops to jump through.  I jumped.  Now, they are just avoiding any contact... but, I will be persistent.

Today, we had a service appointment for the motorhome, a front-end alignment.  I had actually stopped at the place on Monday; I wanted to be sure their equipment looked decent and that we would fit where their alignment rack is in their building.  The lady service writer told me I didn't need an appointment, especially if I got there first thing in the morning, but "an appointment would guarantee that I wouldn't have to wait."

Nice if it would work that way.  I pulled up to the place 10 minutes before our 11:00am appointment... there was some hemming and hawing... "A problem?" I asked.  Seems that the alignment rack was occupied with another vehicle... and, they were having to "replace some parts" on that vehicle.

"So, how long are you expecting that to take?"

"Um, I don't know - we're waiting for the parts."

I asked, "So, a half hour?  Three days?"

She said, "I don't know, but if you want to leave the keys, we'll get to it as soon as we can."

Buzzzzzzzz!  Wrong answer, but thanks for playing.  The whole idea of an appointment was so we didn't have to drive an hour to get here only to have an indefinite wait.  Thanks, but no thanks.

"So, you don't want to get the work done?" she asked.

"Yes, I want to get the work done.  But, the fact that this isn't going the way you said it would means I'll be getting the work done elsewhere."  For the record, they had my phone number, but chose to let me get there before breaking the news.  We were NOT going to leave the motorhome, but would be waiting for it, since she told me it would take "30 to 40 minutes... unless we have to replace any parts."  Yeah, once they have your vehicle on their rack, you are a captive audience.

Pass.

So the trip to Harlingen wasn't a complete waste of time, we made a stop at Sam's Club.  Fast and easy.  On the way out, I saw this...


A scooter.  Well, a scooter/trike.  According to the info on it, it has a top speed of 15.5mph; kind of a mobility scooter on steroids.  But, it will carry a passenger.  No, I didn't buy one, but (from my perspective) it would be good on our island (where the highest speed limit is 15mph); a lot of people here use a golf cart to get around on the island.

We put the motorhome back in its storage unit and brought the boat trailer home with us.  You know we have our heads into rolling west when the boat trailer makes its appearance.  It will probably be a couple days before we pull the boat out; timing will be dependent on weather and tides.

Joan wanted to arrange stuff in the cargo trailer.  Cruising boat owners know what this means: once a year or so, you pull everything out to see what needs to go and what needs to stay.  The driveway...


Deeming it best to not be "under foot," I took my scoot for a ride while Joan did inventory and made the stay/go decisions.  I went in search of the scooter tag: "your scoot with something to do with hockey."  Yeah, that isn't going to happen here in the Tropical Tip.  The person who posted that tag did give an alternative of "your scoot with a bus."

I happened to go by a former school bus on a side street - that'll do...


I made that tag a "two-fer": the bus is from Monterey, Mexico, so I made the next tag: your scoot with something international.  The whole idea of the scooter tag game is mostly a reason to go for a ride... I rarely need a reason.

Back home, Rufus got some time on the deck with his Daddy.  Joan had gone next door, after being invited by our neighbor to look at some of the artwork she is doing.  Rufus could hear his Momma over there...


So, still a productive day, even though the service we had scheduled didn't happen.  Another service place will present itself.  And, I have this thing about spending money for service with people who are inconsiderate of my time.  Yes, I know it isn't likely to change anything, but I feel better about not rewarding bad or inconsiderate service.


No comments: